Why burn wood pellets in a wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

back2basics

May 16, 2022
Western WA
I came upon a link to buy a custom-made basket that would allow a person to burn wood pellets in their wood stove. My questions are -
1) Why would anyone want to do that?
2) Has anyone here actually done that?
3) Is this a safe thing to do with a stove?

Watching a couple videos on YouTube about it, it seems to me doing so would be more of a hassle and generate less heat and less burn time, which is why I'm confused and wondering what the point is.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, a few folks have tried this out. They burn slowly in a pellet basket and are safe. Some like the experience and the option for an alternative fuel, especially for shoulder season warmth. There are several threads on the topic. Here's one.

Thank you for the reply and link. I did search the site, but didn't come up with any hits. My search terms were a bit different though. Mr. Begreen - I see we are both in the S. Puget Sound area...

Try pellet basket for a search. Some folks even made their own.
Yes, there are several of us left-coasters here.