Why can I not use a regular gas fireplace instead of an insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boardable

Oct 2, 2016
California
Hi All,

First time post. I have a wood burning brick fireplace. I have been wanting to convert it for years. For the life of me I can not find a reason that I should not be able to just simply install a regular gas fireplace instead of the gas insert?

Has anyone done this and what are the down sides. I will spend about 2700 for just the insert, surround and parts for the insert opposed to 1400 for the new gas one.

Off the top of my head...
One: A gas fireplace is not designed or tested to be installed in this way.
Two: Gas fireplaces are not tested and do not use co-linear venting. That venting is designed to fit in a terra cotta flue.
Co-axial venting is sued on a DV gas fireplace. It will not fit in a terra cotta flue.
Three: A gas fireplace insert has trim pieces designed to close the gap(s) between the outside of the insert & the fireplace surround.
There are no surrounds made for gas fireplace to perform this function.

Hi All,

First time post. I have a wood burning brick fireplace. I have been wanting to convert it for years. For the life of me I can not find a reason that I should not be able to just simply install a regular gas fireplace instead of the gas insert?

Has anyone done this and what are the down sides. I will spend about 2700 for just the insert, surround and parts for the insert opposed to 1400 for the new gas one.

One big reason is that you aren't going to meet the clearance requirements for a gas fireplace. Which means no city inspector would sign off on it - and if you are going to run a new gas line you are going to need a permit and sign off.

Plus, an insert is designed to cover an existing fireplace. A new fireplace isn't. So you are just going to look like you have a new fireplace jammed into your old one.

If you want a new fireplace, rip the old one out and put a new one in. It will cost some money to re-frame and set up the venting. Or you can do an insert.

One big reason is that you aren't going to meet the clearance requirements for a gas fireplace. Which means no city inspector would sign off on it - and if you are going to run a new gas line you are going to need a permit and sign off.
QUOTE]

I would disagree with that statement. The new gas fireplaces are designated as ZERO CLEARANCE to COMBUSTIBLES.
Wood burning fireplaces are built out of NON COMBUSTIBLE materials, so if a ZC box fit in the opening,
there would not be any clearance issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.