Why Can't I Burn Certain Paper/Cardboard in My Stove???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record I use cardboard egg cartons for fire starter, they work great.

I am using white birch bark as a starter. But, since it contains natural tar, I wonder what it's doing to the cat. But the cat is bypassed when I start it.

I am using white birch bark as a starter. But, since it contains natural tar, I wonder what it's doing to the cat. But the cat is bypassed when I start it.
Eek is birch bark tar not good for a cat? I burn lots of white and yellow birch in my cat stove... like you say, usually in bypass when the bark is going off but still, would be good to know if so

If burning birch would be harmful for cat stoves, I bet the manufacturers would have warned us not to burn it... never heard anything similar though.

I can't tell if you are trolling or not.
No not at all, I grew up cutting and splitting wood and absolutely fell in love with our first hydronic woodstove. I was just trying to be as hillarious as possible with regard to what people will burn in their stoves. (I'm by no means innocent either). I can't find my post any more so maybe a moderator thought the same thing as you did.

Six year old thread, should have been closed years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.