Why did Lopi stop making the (2021 tax credit eligible) wood hybrid/cat inserts? What am I missing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've been heating with/around wood heat for 20+ years now, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've run a stove (or seen a stove run) at a "low burn rate." That stat stinks worse than a pile of something the dog left in the yard.
This might be one of the craziest comments I’ve seen all of my years on hearth.com! If you’ve gotta leave a stove running full blast you really need to make some changes in your home. Some apparently do this, definitely not the majority of wood burners though.

Reactions: PaulOinMA
A while back bholler posted a real world comparison for wood consumption. In colder weather I thought that the Princess wood consumption was about the same as with the Regency non-cat when installed in the same location, but maybe I am crossing threads.
I feel like I also have given it a “real world” comparison. Having ran a bunch of stoves on the same few hearths, the BK has been a game changer! I don’t run on full blast all the time, so med/low allows me to use a fraction of the wood without overheating the house. Even running it on higher air settings in bitter cold it has its advantages for me.

I feel like I also have given it a “real world” comparison. Having ran a bunch of stoves on the same few hearths, the BK has been a game changer! I don’t run on full blast all the time, so med/low allows me to use a fraction of the wood without overheating the house. Even running it on higher air settings in bitter cold it has its advantages for me.
And others like me have real world comparisons that show no reduction in wood consumption at all. It's all about btu load and sizing the stoves accordingly. If you were overheating with your previous stoves they were to large. For me I only run low with the bk a few weeks out of the year and medium a few more. The rest of the time I am loading every 8 hours just like I did before the bk.

And others like me have real world comparisons that show no reduction in wood consumption at all. It's all about btu load and sizing the stoves accordingly. If you were overheating with your previous stoves they were to large. For me I only run low with the bk a few weeks out of the year and medium a few more. The rest of the time I am loading every 8 hours just like I did before the bk.
Like BKVP said. Very very few of you don’t see the advantage because of your heat load requirements.

Like BKVP said. Very very few of you don’t see the advantage because of your heat load requirements.
No he said very few stove owners run their stoves on high. You are missing the point that the majority of stove owners are not bk owners. So most of those people he is saying are running on medium to low are getting way more btus than a bk on medium or low. I ran my regency on low most of the time but almost never run the princess on low

One thing to keep in mind...pre EPA units. Best estimates are 25%+ wood heaters are pre EPA units.

The burn rates of the old smoke dragons are vastly different than more modern, certified heaters.

Operators of these type of stoves use more wood than might be needed if they upgraded to a certified heater.

As well, wood burners that burn wood that is not optimally seasoned will need to burn hotter in order to provide meaningful heat. Sadly, even in a certified wood stove, emissions increase with improperly seasoned fuel.

Back to the topic.....