Why do I get so much soot on the right side of my glass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Runnin

Apr 17, 2020
SE PA
My Regency Ci2700 was installed in January of 2020. My wood is split, stacked, covered and off the ground. Moisture content is below 20%. Readings are taken on fresh splits with the pins running parallel to the grain after the wood has been in the attached garage for at least 24 hours. I have 2 moisture meters.

Last year the Installer claimed it was the wood. That could have true in early 2020 when I purchased a half cord that wasn’t the best. I’m still picking through that load. Suspect pieces go through a kindling cracker and if they feel too soft they get tossed.

The 20-21 season I burned mostly ash that I got from my neighbors when he cut his tree down in the spring of 2020. Moisture content when burning that was under 20%.

This year I’m burning wood I acquired in 2020. Mostly ash and maple, some black walnut, some unknown. It is all from rounds I split stacked and covered. Moisture content has been below 16%.

I’m constantly getting soot on the right side. Starts in the lower right and works it’s way up about 2/3rds. Most times it’s sticky and harder to clean. Something I do get soot on the left side, but it burns off or it is easy to clean.

I clean the glass with either Rutland’s glass cleaner or a damp paper towel and ash. I have no problems lighting a fire. I use the top down method. I kept the door cracked until it’s burning good, prob temp is in the 300-400 degree range. Cat is engage above 500, usually closer to 600 degrees.

When I close the door, the fire box gets smokier but clears up pretty quick. When I close the bypass, the same thing happens. The air control appears to work as it should. I usually leave it fully open or slightly closed. The door passes the paper test.

The flue is about 20 feet tall. The cap is not clogged. I inspect the cat and it always looks clean. The installer cleaned and checked everything out after the 20-21 season. He said everything looked good, and there were no issues.

I do notice that the flames appear to lick the glass way more often on the right side. And it appears the secondaries sometimes seem to move left to right in the back of the box. It’s as if sometimes there is a slight clock wise rotation inside the box.

I also noticed when using an infrared thermometer, the right side is hotter. Tonight it’s running 20 to 40 degrees hotter.

Is this just the way it goes or is there something I can do about it.

E7E71E63-AE94-421B-9CA1-4D9B327DC4E7.jpeg

Do the dollar test of the door gasket all around. Likely the right hand side is not tight and the latching mechanism needs tightening.

Reactions: Ctwoodtick
When the stove is cool, do the “dollar bill test”. You likely have a small air leak probably in the door gasket. Search “dollar bill test” on this forum if not sure how to do it.

lol thats not that bad. I have a bk and run on low all the time and my wood is all CSS 3 years +. That said it cleans up if I run it on high for a bit but there is still a little there.

I wouldnt worry about it too much. Maybe run it hotter once a week to help clean it up. Maybe once every few weeks use a wet paper town with some ash to scrub it if it bothers you.

Based on the direction my door opens, I have a tendency to stack logs so the fire isn't even. The temperature on the surround is always a little warmer on the left side.

Reactions: MissMac
I agree it's not that bad. But very consistently getting asymmetric coverage suggests there is something systematic.

If it's not the gasket, then something else. But if not the gasket then I don't think it's much to worry about.

I am not that systematic in loading my wood.

But there could be an asymmetry in where the air splits (I assume the regency also has an air path from the back to the front on each side) that creates a preferential path.

Reactions: PaulOinMA
If no leak and not near or up against glass... I'm guessing one bad log in moisture content...

In the off season, maybe try replacing the glass gasket

Reactions: stoveliker
Mine has done the same thing since brand new and wood has been split 3 years and is dry. I've seen similar complaints for this insert and it seems like this is "normal".

Reactions: one man's kindling