Why dont we all want rocket mass heaters?

electrathon Posted By electrathon, Jan 19, 2017 at 3:21 PM

1. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 17, 2008
    Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    The biggest factor here is the RMH is heating only 1 Room to a not so warm 69 or lower . This is not a big deal. Various electric heaters in the other rooms which are colder. May as well make it total electric and change out the stylish barrel in the living room for a mini split. Skip the work gathering twigs altogether.

bholler likes this.
  2. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 17, 2008
    Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    The difference is ,your house is warm.

3. Squisher

Squisher
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 1, 2015
    Loc:
    vernon BC, Canada
    These sorts of temps being discussed are part of why I don't really see something like this catching on. For me a big part of the picture of wood heat is having a splendidly warm house. Were the whole thing becomes warm 75 in the far reaches of the home.

I would hate to heat with wood and be chilly still. That would be an awkward conversation with the missus too.

Wife, "we need a fire!"
    Me, "it's already going" , or "we've already used our stick of wood for the day."

I don't foresee the above conversation ending well.

georgepds and jatoxico like this.
  4. RobbieB

RobbieB
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 19, 2017
    Loc:
    Central CA
    I like to wear long sleeve flannel shirts with a tee underneath. 72 is too warm for me, I like it around 68.

With a fire going it gets to 75-77 in a couple of hours and then the clothes need to come off. Which is why I have a stove, romance and ambiance - :)

Seasoned Oak likes this.
  5. edyit

edyit
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 30, 2014
    Loc:
    Wilmington NY
    if i'm going to keep it at any temp under 76 i might as well just run the oil burner. the wife being warm was one the biggest deciding factors in getting wood heat. we both grew up with it, when we moved in together she wasn't as keen on the idea of sitting in a 62F house in a sweater because fuel oil isn't exactly cheap in the adirondacks (or anywhere for that matter) so in came the stove and now the average temp is around 76-78 and i don't have to hear i'm cold or worry about the power going out

6. georgepds

georgepds
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 25, 2012

It's sort of like that in my house, but ,really, the view of me in my skivies just doesn't kindle romance anymore.....

Maybe I need a RMH

Squisher likes this.
  7. OhioBurner©

OhioBurner©
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 20, 2010
    Loc:
    Center of Ohio
    Yeah temperature is entirely personal. I shoot for upper 60's. Lately I've been reluctant to fire up both my stoves (usually needed below freezing) and since the temps have dropped the last couple days my house is down to about 60 throughout with the stove room being 68. Mid 70's I'd be wearing boxers. But then again most of the winter I am still barefoot outside. Cold doesn't bother me as much as several thousand dollar propane bill, but I do like at least 60's.

8. peakbagger

peakbagger
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern NH
    I generally could care less about the actual room temp as long as there is good radiant heat from the stove.

I hang out in front of campfires in the winter on occasion. It may be below zero but if I am standing in front of the fire I am plenty warm from the radiant heat.

I do miss the radiant heat aspect with my wood boiler which is in the basement. Heat from the boiler and the flue actually heat my insulated living room floor but the rest of the house is baseboard. On occasion when I get home after a few days to a cool house, I fire off the boiler and hang out in front of it until the house warms up. Same with my minisplit I find that I need to run a higher temp as I dont have any radiant heat.

9. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 17, 2008
    Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    I d like to hear for others using a RMH that actually keep their entire house warm with just the wood. To get a more accurate comparison to a conventional wood stove. I do think there is more efficiencies that can be had from a wood stove but perhaps its a diminishing return thing as far as complication and expense of mfg. Just what would it take to go from 70 % to 90+ % with a wood stove ,I feel if it were that simple it would have already been widely done.