Why is my Heat-n-Glo puttting out so much less heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pccitizen

Dec 5, 2020
Central FL
First time user of these things. HVLP IPI. First year worked great. Next year, output/flames very low. Valve is turned up, nothing obvious blocking anything. Flames are just low. Fan may come on after hours. Did my valve get stuck or dirty? Thanks. Only use it a few months in "winter [so-called here in FL!]" Thanks. John

Check behind the burner orifice for a blockage.
Spiders LOVE to build nests in that location.
Those nests can actually stop gas flow...

Sorry for being so dumb in these matters.... Where is the orifice located? I would think it would be right behind the valve that gets lit by the sparker [bottom of fireplace]-so the spider can get to it [I have to take out that unit to clean it...]. Surely it is not all the way back on the gas valve in the back? How would the spider get back there? I am googling around, the orifice seems to be back on the valve?? Can't figure it out clearly. Thanks. I could attach pics, but this should not be that hard :(

I need to know the ENTIRE model number to research the answer to that question,
HVLP IPI is incomplete. Generally there's a name & number - like Supreme I35 - on
the rating in the valve cavity under the burner. Can you access that info?

Hi, sorry for grief. The install manual has a sticker on it that says "Model no ST-HVLP-IPI" serial 002598616. Installed 2005. Sticker on bottom with that model# Orifice #51DMS.

OK. You will have to remove the logs & there should be 4 screws - one at each corner -
securing the burner to the firebox bottom. you will have to lift & slide the burner off
the orifice to access it. Remove it with a wrench & run a Q-tip or pipe cleaner in the
tube behind the orifice location.

OK. You will have to remove the logs & there should be 4 screws - one at each corner -
securing the burner to the firebox bottom. you will have to lift & slide the burner off
the orifice to access it. Remove it with a wrench & run a Q-tip or pipe cleaner in the
tube behind the orifice location.
Yes, thanks. I think I see how this works. Gas tube from valve leads to metal chamber below firebox [maybe 1" x 1ft sq] -tube enters chamber near spark/pilot assembly. I can remove the small spark/pilot unit [doesn't look like I have to remove logs], and should see the tube entrance where the obstruction may be. Gas accumulates in chamber firebox, and when exits holes, with O2, ignites with spark. I guess gas in chamber doesn't ignite because it needs the O2 which it only encounters when it exits the holes...... Never good at gas.
If that doesn't work, you are suggesting I remove the logs and the whole "top" to the firebox... Not sure what I would see there. I will try this tonight. Thanks for your help!!!

You HAVE to remove the base under the logs.
THAT is where the burner orifice is located...
No need to address the pilot.

You HAVE to remove the base under the logs.
THAT is where the burner orifice is located...
No need to address the pilot.
OK, you are a wonderful man I think!! Took whole base off, saw TINY piece of detritus on orifice opening. Used pin to clear. Flame seems about twice what it was. A piece no bigger than 1mm Sq caused this?! and fell exactly on the orifice opening! ...saw the dead insects on the plate down there. Here is to a merry Xmas if that is possible in these times. Stay warm up there in NY.

Reactions: DAKSY