Why no firebricks across the top?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cj133

Nov 12, 2022
NJ
I'm sorry if this has been asked in another thread but I couldn't find it.
I'm looking at how firebrick is typically placed in wood stoves and all I ever see is across the bottom and then across the sides and back.

They never seem to have it across the top. Based on this I'm thinking my understanding of either how the woodstove works is wrong, or, my understanding of the point of using firebrick is wrong.

If the firebrick is there to protect the steel, wouldn't it be most important across the top of the stove? Or is the top of the stove not as hot as the sides?

This post isn't in regards to any specific stove, simply a curiosity I have.

Lopi stoves used to have firebrick baffles and some other stoves too. They have gone to other materials for better insulating the fire chamber. That affords a hotter fire and cleaner burn.

My Century had a firebrick baffle. They are very durable,, but aren't the best at sealing and forcing air over the front of the baffle. Overall, I really liked tge design. It would not have met current emissions regulations though.

Firebrick protects the steel and keeps.the firebox.hot enough for efficient burning.

But you do want heat to reach your room. Completely insulating the firebox therefore defeats the purpose,.I think.

Firebrick protects the steel and keeps.the firebox.hot enough for efficient burning.

But you do want heat to reach your room. Completely insulating the firebox therefore defeats the purpose,.I think.
The flow of hot gases reverses at the front around the baffle and from there to the flue exit it's heating the stovetop. Additionally, there is strong radiant heat through the door.

The flow of hot gases reverses at the front around the baffle and from there to the flue exit it's heating the stovetop. Additionally, there is strong radiant heat through the door.
Of course, I know. The point is that protection of steel,.and the top of the stove is metal (or soap stone). Hence my remark that brick under that too is not ideal for heat transfer.

Sounds like a good inexpensive solution to a part that needs replacement occasionally in some stoves. I have 2 cast iron plates with a insulation blanket on top. They have been know to warp from the intense heat. Mine are only slightly warped, but I don't need to run the stove very hard.

Yes, there are variety of baffle designs. The difference between the materials used vary. It may be vermiculite, c-cast, brick, stainless steel sheet, etc.. with or without an insulation blanket. The main difference is durability. PE chose to integrate the baffle and secondary distribution into one box assembly. Jotul has a stepped secondary with stainless baffle on some of their stoves too.