Will a perlite/cement mix flow down this small gap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sleewok

Jan 27, 2021
USA
Hey all,

My liner was an extremely tight fit. I have about 1.5" at the corners that I would like to insulate. I know it won't make a huge difference, but I am set on doing it.

Will a cement mix ( 6:1 perlite / cement mix) flow down these cavities? I've never made this mix before so I am not sure how well it flows. I have a 25ft drop that I need to get down. If it won't work then I'll just settle for loose filling and top it off in a year after it settles.

I appreciate any insight or help!

20220915_201731.jpg20220915_201735.jpg

Hey all,

My liner was an extremely tight fit. I have about 1.5" at the corners that I would like to insulate. I know it won't make a huge difference, but I am set on doing it.

Will a cement mix ( 6:1 perlite / cement mix) flow down these cavities? I've never made this mix before so I am not sure how well it flows. I have a 25ft drop that I need to get down. If it won't work then I'll just settle for loose filling and top it off in a year after it settles.

I appreciate any insight or help!

View attachment 299079View attachment 299080
You aren't going to get enough insulation in there for code compliance, safety, or performance. The clay really should have been removed

You aren't going to get enough insulation in there for code compliance, safety, or performance. The clay really should have been removed
Yeah, I agree. It definitely should have been removed. I'll eventually replace the chimney (10 year), but the performance has been great and there was very little creosote after burning last season (mostly dry, some green).

Follow-up question: Is it true that if your clay liner is intact and good condition then insulation is not necessary (or something along those lines)? If that is the case, then wouldn't lining with cement mix ensure the integrity and fill any potential voids?

Follow-up question: Is it true that if your clay liner is intact and good condition then insulation is not necessary (or something along those lines)? If that is the case, then wouldn't lining with cement mix ensure the integrity and fill any potential voids?
That is not true at all. What matters is clearance to combustibles from the outside of the masonry chimney structure. You need 1" for an external chimney and 2" for internal. But if you don't have that clearance you will never meet code with that liner in those clay liners