Will this be ok for splitter return line?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfunk13

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2008
Wyoming
Is it ok to run the filter this way?
Any other problems with running return like this?
Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCN4161.jpg
    DSCN4161.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 245
  • DSCN4162.jpg
    DSCN4162.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 260
  • DSCN4180.jpg
    DSCN4180.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 243
Hmmmmm, great point.
Should have thought of that one.
How often should a guy change the filter?
I do have a drain plug in the bottom back, is it a good idea to drain and filter the oil anyways?

Thanks for the tip!

couldn't you just raise the nose of the splitter to change the filter?

pen

Oil change almost never but filter maybe once every 3-5yrs. Is filter sized for the gpms of the pump?

wkpoor said:
. Is filter sized for the gpms of the pump?

I believe so, 13.6 gpm pump and 25 gpm max on filter.
Good point Pen, i also thought a could add a ball valve between tank and filter.

In addition to the afore mentioned problem, the filter should be oriented in the normal manner which gravity would suggest.

Look at your vehicle oil filter for an example. In this orientation, all the oil in the filter will run out as it is removed.

Is there any way you could protect that with a box or cage. That is just begging to get hit by a large round I lose control of.

FWIW, the manual for my store bought splitter says to change the hydraulic filter after the first 25 hours and then every 100 hours thereafter.

I check the hydraulic fluid before every use, and I don't plan on changing the fluid until it looks cloudy or dirty.

More good points.
maybe horizontal with a valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.