Willhound's Woodpiles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Willhound

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2005
Northern Ontario, Canada
It's great to be using the new forum. Nice work Craig.

Here are some shots of my wood piles. The first is the one that is conveniently located right outside the door in my driveway. The second is my wood shed and the back yard pile. Woodshed is way too small, ,but tarps are cheaper than building materials ;-)

The first close-up shows the 1/2 cord of white cedar slabs that my buddy gave me the other day for kindling. The second close-up shows some of the different wood I've got. The 2x4's came from a local lumber mill and are the cut-off ends from when they trim the lumber to size. Most of these are 16 to 18" long and up to about two years ago, if you knew the right people at the mill you could haul these away by the truckload for free!
Unfortunately they figured out that they were worth something, and now they are all trucked to another mill where they are finger-jointed into lumber.
The large logs on the lower left are from a log house that I helped a buddy dismantle. They are tamarack (I think a lot of our friends to the south call it larch), and hard as iron. This wood is over 200 years old, because we know the house was built in 1911 and some of the larger logs had well over 100 rings in them, so over 100 years old for the tree, and then almost another 100 sitting in the house. Burns really well and hot, so I only use it sparingly and mixed into the birch I have.

Attachments

• wood4.jpg
    wood4.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 917
  • wood3.jpg
    wood3.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 939
  • wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 937
Thanks Dylan, that cardboard idea is a good one. Tarps are new anyway, but I like the idea of having them last longer. We've had an unbeleivably beautiful fall, and there really isn't much snow yet. We usually have over a foot on the ground by now. Snow melt usually isn't a big problem either, at least not until April.....

Status
Not open for further replies.