Winter Reliability

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Not bad at the time of ingestion- but putting the tile back on the wall the next day is an exercise in futility.

Reactions: Ashful
Sounds like the OP is all set.

The cheapest upgrade would be a $109 HarborFright genny:

https://www.harborfreight.com/engin...63cc-2-cycle-gas-generator-epacarb-63025.html

With one 5 gallon gerry can, some 'stabil', extra spark plugs. oil, and extension cords he'd be out ~$200.

This set up would run the fridge, the wifi and a few LED lights for 2-4 days on 5 gallons. Or a sump pump or small AC in a pinch.

Ask me how I know. :p

I find the gas with stabil keeps for years no problem. And there is no shutdown hassle with the genny....just turn the stopcock so it runs out the carb before you stick it in the garage....its will start right up next year.

Last edited:
MOVE!! I don't like crowds, but I do enjoy creature comforts.

Well.. it does have its good points.. mostly.. kayaking, seals, ospreys , eagles,the winter snowy owls, the autumn cormarants all in a line on a wire, the beach,the summer women in thongs... you know, all in the world that delight the eye

I was thinking about this thread today. Started snowing early in the day, and it was much heavier than any forecast had predicted. After school programs were canceled, so I ran out from work to pick up my son, and came upon a 4-vehicle accident on my way. Three pickup trucks and an SUV, all off the road. I towed the first one back onto the road, and he was in the process of pulling the second out of the ditch as I left them. Got the kid, and headed back to work. Another two cars off the road, on the way back, and it’s only two miles away!

Gathered my stuff at work, and headed for home. The ten minute drive took almost an hour. Saw a tri-axle PennDOT plow truck off the road and rolled onto its side, an abandoned minivan, a school bus in someone’s front yard (full of kids), and at least a dozen cars off the road. Several roads I tried to take were blocked by downed trees or telephone poles.

Eventually made it to my neighborhood, where one big tree was across the road, wiping out the power lines. On the adjacent road, there was a car pancaked by a tree, firefighters trying to cut the guy out of it, and a fire truck off the road into the ditch.

We’ve been without power since 1:30pm. Latest estimate is that it will be restored by 11:30pm tomorrow. Enter the dual Blaze King Ashfords, and my Honda generator. I had 7 gallons in gas cans, which will get me thru this evening. Tomorrow I can siphon 7 gallons from my mower, or head out to the gas station.

I’m right on the edge of the snow line, about 1/2 mile away, they got just a dusting. We got 8 inches of wet crap heavier than concrete, and 60 mph winds, which is a lethal combination for trees and power poles.

I did get some chainsaw time in, as it was getting dark. I lost one large silver maple, and had a huge branch fall off another and pancake some of my hemlocks. That’s been cut free, saving the hemlocks.

Yup. Its been a chitshow here. Not so bad in the city (work) but a mess in the burbs (home). Saw a couple transformers explode during my extended commute.

But this time I still have power. I was out for 6 hours last week when it was sunny, calm and 70°F (car hit a pole).

last i checked a hour ago mass had 500.000 with out power and coast towns had 100 % town outage and all roads blocked. all of the cape had over 90 mile a hour winds. next couple of day or weeks will be a wood scavenger free for all