Wireless Thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester

Hearth Supporter
Aug 19, 2008
Seacoast Massachusetts
Is anyone using a wireless thermostat? If so which one? Im thinking of putting one on my P38. Any thoughts or experience would be great.
Thanks
E

I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I have narrowed it to the ones that I have seen used most by the people here, those being skytech and ambient. Now I just need to decide which it will be and buy it. I am leaning toward ambient only because according to their website one of the local stove shops is a dealer so it may be easier to go that route for me. It does seem however that sytech is more popular so I am interested to see if anybody has info to sway me that way.

Is the 3301P hand-held or wall-mount?

It comes with a wall bracket and you can easily take it out of the wall bracket and take it elsewhere.

lsirois said:
It comes with a wall bracket and you can easily take it out of the wall bracket and take it elsewhere.

OK, I can't hold myself back anymore from asking this question. Is there any other reason why so many people want to spend all that money, (compared to a $20-25 Programmable t-stat) besides not having to run a wire???? Personally, I have enough remotes lying around now....I don't want another one.

And why would I want to move the remote anyway?.....I guess I'm missing something here....it's Friday, and I'm too tired to think.

$150 compared to running wire to me is worth it, I guess this depends on how much wire your running. for me my stove is in the dinning area, so I need to run wire across the dinning area threw the living room and into the hall where my stairs are that go up to the second floor, that would be a lot of work so I would and have spent the $$ to avoid this.

I suspect it is to get around having to run wires in the wall...that's why I'd be interested in one....I don't think the intention is to put it on the coffee table along with the other remotes so you can change temperature while watching Lost!!

There is no way to run wires where it needs to be (fire wall break - doh to me - lol) so that is why I opted for wireless. I had a wireless before that was cheaper, but not programmable and VERY susceptible to other coded appliances (garage door opener, etc). Since getting the Skytech I am sure it has paid for itself (about $90 online).

Yeah, I'm looking to avoid drilling down into floor then snaking up wires in existing wall. I want to go wireless. BUT, I DO NOT want another remote control to lose!

I want a wall mount and was thinking about the Skytech TS/R-2 unit. Not programmable, but I've never needed a programmable anyway. I just turn down the stat at night and when I leave the house.

TS/R-2: http://www.skytechsystem.com/wireless.asp?pi=268

Sorry for the newb question but using a remote wireless thermometer like this can you do the following

Set the pellet stove (Accentra freestanding) so that it switches at specific times. I am thinking like at 3pm before we get home being able to automaticaly turns on the pellet stove?

Thanks

Glenalmond said:
Sorry for the newb question but using a remote wireless thermometer like this can you do the following

Set the pellet stove (Accentra freestanding) so that it switches at specific times. I am thinking like at 3pm before we get home being able to automaticaly turns on the pellet stove?

Thanks

Yes

sinnian said:
Glenalmond said:

Thanks

Yes

Really? A programmable can actually turn the stove from OFF to ON at a specific time when your not even home?

I thought it worked in an auto programmable mode after you have physically turned on the stove yourself at the Tstat, then it continues its programming until you manually shut it off.

So, using a programmable you can program it to shut OFF the stove at 8AM and turn it back ON at 3PM?

richkorn said:
So, using a programmable you can program it to shut OFF the stove at 8AM and turn it back ON at 3PM?

Yes. On most stoves, it would operate just like your t-stat for your regular heating system.....it turns the heat system on and off as needed.....same for the pellet stove.

I have mine set to go on at 5am to warm the house, off at 7 am, back on at 3:30pm, and off at 10:45pm. All I have to do, is to make sure the stove is switched to "auto".

richkorn said:
sinnian said:
Glenalmond said:

Thanks

Yes

Really? A programmable can actually turn the stove from OFF to ON at a specific time when your not even home?

I thought it worked in an auto programmable mode after you have physically turned on the stove yourself at the Tstat, then it continues its programming until you manually shut it off.

To clarify:

Your stove would need to have an auto-ignition, but then yes, OFF and ON just like your programmable t-stat for your boiler/furnace.

Well that's pretty awesome. I'll have to consider a programmable wireless unit. I have a Lopi and it has the AUTO setting option. This stove doesn't have any Hi/Low setting, just Auto.

Thanks.

Posting in this thread since my question is related to the Skytech 3301p. How does the 3301 or any wireless t stat connect to the pellet stove. I have free standing Accentra or just please point to some install directions and I will read and learn. thanks

I have a St Croix EXL and I use a Skytech 3301P..the receiver hooks to the back of my stove ( 2 wire ) where my "dealer plastic junk thermostat" use to be...my transmitter is about 20 feet away in my living room..Works like a charm for me...

HIGH/LOW or ON/OFF? mine just came in not sure what i should do :)

sinnian said:
Skytech 3301p (p for programmable) is by far the best I have used.

Just out of curiosity, how many have you used?

macman said:
lsirois said:

OK, I can't hold myself back anymore from asking this question. Is there any other reason why so many people want to spend all that money, (compared to a $20-25 Programmable t-stat) besides not having to run a wire???? Personally, I have enough remotes lying around now....I don't want another one.

And why would I want to move the remote anyway?.....I guess I'm missing something here....it's Friday, and I'm too tired to think.

Yeah, what he said.

sinnian said:
richkorn said:
sinnian said:
Glenalmond said:

Thanks

Yes

To clarify:

Your stove would need to have an auto-ignition, but then yes, OFF and ON just like your programmable t-stat for your boiler/furnace.

Does it work from 20 miles away? Sorry, just having a bad day,don't understand the big deal

Status
Not open for further replies.