Wiseway Pellet stove what pellet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Wiseway is best used with a Douglas Fir pellet. I am not sure what brands you can find in your area. But any DF based pellet should be good. If you can not find a DF pellet look for other softwood pellets (usually spruce on the east coast). A google search found Piedmont Pellet mill in NC that makes a softwood pellet with the same specs (ie <0.5 ash) as the DF pellet that I use in my Wiseway.

Mike

This is my second year with the Wiseway. Last year I burned Okanagan Platinum which is primarily spruce. I think I went through a little over two tons. During the coldest part of the winter (last year really wasn't terribly cold) I went through a ton of Okanagan Doug Fir. This year, to fill out the shed I bought two tons of the Platinum, one ton of the Doug Fir (plus one ton left over from last year) and a ton of the Okanagan Gold (pine) as an experiment. So far I have only tried the Gold and am pleased with it. Honestly, I think I could get away with just the Gold and Platinum, maybe just a single ton of Doug Fir for the really brutally cold nights here in New England.

Now, I know that Okanagan is no longer in business but the pellet production has been taken over by another company, Northern Warmth. The Gold is called Purely Pine and the Platinum is Super Spruce. I don't know what they're calling the Doug Fir.

I think the key with these stoves is to find the best quality softwood pellets you can buy just like Mike said. Keep the stove clean and follow a daily routine of daiily clearing off the secondary burn tray and emptying the ash tray so the stove breathes freely. Experiment with the size of the spaces between the bars in the primary burn tray until you find a good starting point for maxing the temperature and the burn rate of the pellets.

Also, I can't recommend the Ecofan 812 enough. I have two of them installed on my stove and they spread the heat through the house at an amazing rate. All without any electricity. I installed them on the heat shields by taking a grinder and cutting a notch out for them. They are silent but amazingly efficient.
IMG_6032 2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.