With Both Thermometers In Place

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
With both the Rutland and the Condar magnetic surface mount thermometers in place on my stove, I lit a fire this morning..............

So far I see 70º difference in their readings, and the Laser is even lower, pointing the dot in the middle between them........

Like, right now (for example):

Rutland is reading 530ºF (approx.)
Condar is reading 460ºF (approx.)

Laser (by the way) is reading 450º (in between the two thermometers, from a distance of 3 inches from the stove). This is interesting, because it tends to agree more with the Condar, regardless of the "Delta."

-Soupy1957

Attachments

• Temps.jpg
    Temps.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 386
Throw that Rutland away, they always read high.

Todd said:
My Rutland reads lower that my condar somethimes as much as 150 °F but it seems the the Rutland is the one most people do not trust.

The real question here is Do You Have Secondaries Going Now to REFERENCE That Back To YOUR STOVE TEMPS? As this is what its all about. Are Ya Buruning CLEAN NOW?

Todd said:

I must be lucky. While I obviously can't get an IR reading directly under these units, both my 25 year-old VC thermometer and my brand new Rutland seem pretty much right on the money for what I need them for. The VC thermometer came to me second hand. It was off by 75º when I got it, but it was easy to calibrate by simply using an Allen wrench and rotating the magnet until it agrees with a known standard like the IR gun. It's a nice thermometer because of that, but close to $40 new.

Both magnetic units have significant time lags, however. The VC can lag behind the true flue pipe temp by 100º for ten minutes or more before it settles in to the point where these photos were taken. OK for stove top, but not much help in monitoring an extremely rapid rise in flue temp at start up. For that, I keep the IR gun handy.

Attachments

• Rutland-Thermometer.jpg
    Rutland-Thermometer.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 358
  • VC-Thermometer.jpg
    VC-Thermometer.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 357
It does seem somewhat like luck when getting a new thermometer unless you get a quality calibrated instrument. Our old Sandhill keeps plugging on fairly accurately, now in it's 30th year. But I also picked up a cheap Drolet (made in China) thermometer at our local True Value, for our friend's Morso in the yurt. My IR thermometer shows it off about 10 degrees at 500 °F which isn't too bad for a $12 thermometer. But no guarantee that the next one on the shelf would read the same.

The Drolet I got is similar to the Volgelzang model sold by Northern Tool: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200325976_200325976

Attachments

• sandhill.jpg
    sandhill.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 350
Hook up your stove to a bunch of sensors and a laptop like the robostove at the Woodstock open house and you will definitely know what hell is going on with it. ;-)

Jon

BeGreen: The Sandhill is a reliable one?

I was interested in what was being said by someone else about "calibrating" theirs. I didn't realize that either of my thermometers COULD be calibrated. How would I know what to "calibrate" it TO?

Finding a nominal is satisfying "me" right now..........don't really feel a need to prove out which one is "right" at this point. Finding the average with my system, and the way IT runs, is sufficient.

North of 60:The "secondaries" (I found) are working fine. They had been all along. I hadn't yet learned what to look for really. I knew that the color of the flames would change a tad, and I'd see the burn coming out of the top holes, (front and back), but I guess I was expecting a constant inferno from these, and mine are more sporadic and irregular in burn (visually).

-Soupy1957

That Sandhill is going on thirty years old this year. Sadly, it's no longer available or I would be giving them as Christmas gifts to my woodburning friends.

You'll see a better secondary display as the stove gets a larger charge of wood and draft gets stronger with the cold weather. Once the coal bed is established and the stove is hot, refuel as normal. Then after the wood is fully aflame, turn down the air to the point where the fire gets lazy. That should ignite the secondaries and provide a good light show.

soupy1957 said:
North of 60:The "secondaries" (I found) are working fine. They had been all along. I hadn't yet learned what to look for really. I knew that the color of the flames would change a tad, and I'd see the burn coming out of the top holes, (front and back), but I guess I was expecting a constant inferno from these, and mine are more sporadic and irregular in burn (visually).

-Soupy1957

Thanks for the reply. The point I was trying to make in some of your threads was that once you have established your secondaries you now have a reference to when you can step back from the stove and know that its operating clean and efficient.
Regardless of the + or- your thermos are out. A reference is the key. It gives you a better picture when you can throttle back your primary air and go for the holy grail of the burn.
Cheers

Soupy, that is a pretty high temperature to run for this time of the year. Did you roast anyone out? lol

Backwoods Savage.........naw, we only let it burn enough to warm up the house, and then let it die. We've learned how to effectively use fans, the blower in the hot-air system, and window. (lol). Actually, with regard to the temps, it was interesting that my IR was reading lower, pointed at the same surface, and based on BeGreen's input, I should trust my IR more. Again, ......I'm only looking for averages, .....not precision. I'm getting there folks..........

North of 60......I'd say I'm burning clean and efficient generally speaking, thanks to all the great advice I received in here, and elsewhere. I'm learning more and more each time I fire it up. I think I recall some folks in here stating that it's not a great idea to do Autumn burns that are "just to take the morning chill out" (was it YOU "Jake?"). I think the premise was that these types of short burns were trouble. Did I understand that correctly?

-Soupy1957

Hey soup how long have yu had that EPA stove, I'm asking cause I just bought mine in march and still learning also?

Bought it at the end of 2009, and burned from December to March, last year...........doing morning burns about 3 days a week this year, so far........

Won't be 24/7 til probably late October, early November............guessing.....

-Soupy1957

Status
Not open for further replies.