Woman Burned While Trying To Light Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Smokey

For sure on the "Highly Volatile fluid"

The use of starter Jel or "Jello" as I call it will not cause this effect.

As you mentioned, "no really good info" is likely going to be available.

Years ago I used to get the "Jello" from Forest paint company by the 5 gallon pail.

Took me several years to use that can of starter all up, and once it was gone I went to using the propane torch.

The torch was far faster and cheaper than the "Jello"

Its sad that some folks just dont have a clue about what "Flamable" means

As you mentioned, the vapors can seep into the inner nooks and crannies and then "BOOM" when the match is tossed in.

Snowy

Snowy,

I've seen a few methods for creating a gel fire starter. A couple appeared to be extremely dangerous if the gelling process had not completely used up the materials.

Lousyweather,

10-4 good buddy on the flame following the squirt stream.

I sure hope things turn out fine for the woman, it is a very hard way to learn a lesson about starting a pellet stove.

j-takeman said:
Lousyweather said:
Ive heard of folks who try and "perk up" an already lit fire 9or a "going out" fire which is just embers), with pellet gel......then watch the fire go up the stream of gel, into the can, which they immediately throw in any direction, to get it out of their hands at the time....could be on the couch, the chair, the carpet, the cat, etc.....

I am guilty of that with my charcoal grille. Hit it again sam and woof! Even if your ready for it it will scare the beans out of you! I've tossed a can or 2 of the lighter fluid as well.

Remind me not to stand around the BBQ grill while you get it lit :zip: .

SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:
Lousyweather said:
Ive heard of folks who try and "perk up" an already lit fire 9or a "going out" fire which is just embers), with pellet gel......then watch the fire go up the stream of gel, into the can, which they immediately throw in any direction, to get it out of their hands at the time....could be on the couch, the chair, the carpet, the cat, etc.....

I am guilty of that with my charcoal grille. Hit it again sam and woof! Even if your ready for it it will scare the beans out of you! I've tossed a can or 2 of the lighter fluid as well.

Remind me not to stand around the BBQ grill while you get it lit :zip: .

This year we have the new match light charcoal stuff, No more fire balls from my yard! :)

some pretty heartless comments here guys... Poor lady made a mistake... hope she gets well.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
My "guess" is that it was a gas stove and the media reported it as a pellet stove. A gas stove could easily produce an explosion that could blow someone across the room.
It sounds as likely as anything else. After all, they're not getting paid to be accurate, just to write something to fill space.

"just the facts, maam".....not usually a term heard in a newspaper office

The same folks that write about all things that go Boom, still think that shooting someone
with a 9mm handgun will blow them across the room and over a batch of tables/chairs.

Simple laws of Physics that we all studied in high school still apply, even today in the era of computers and high tech wizardry.

Too much Hollywood and not enough facts me thinks.

Yesssss indeed, just the facts Ma'am.

What was in the bottle that you squirted into your stove ???

Snowy

That might be a little tough on the wallpaper…sort of like lighting a fireplace with a flamethrower. (Anybody remember that movie?)

Status
Not open for further replies.