Wondering why my landscape trailer tire sprung a leak...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcote

Feb 6, 2009
Northern Maine
I have a 6.5'x12' tilt landscape trailer that I use for dump runs but mostly hauling firewood. I think it is rated for around 3k lbs. Anyway, went to the dump Saturday morning and saw a sign for free fill, we load, you haul. Me having an empty trailer thought, sounds good. I was thinking if I have a couple of scoops put on, should be fine and around 3k lbs. When the guy dumped the second bucket full onto the trailer, one tire went very low. I pumped it up and drove home - very slowly. I started shoveling this stuff off and realized why my vehicle was working much harder than normal, this stuff is super heavy. Wet, dense, clay-like. So I looked up the weight/cubic foot and for the load I figure I had. 6500-9000 lbs!! It is a wonder nothing more than a flat tire! I had no idea, but will be much more cautious in the future! Also the tires I had on were only 1 and 2 ply!

I'm surprised the guy loaded it for you. He should have noticed your trailer was not quite built for two scoops! Your fortunate you didn't do any real damage. Tires are easy....

You have to figure a 1 yard bucket is going to be around a ton. Add a bit for sopping wet clay...not sure what size buckets those were...

Status
Not open for further replies.