wood as far as the eye can see

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy_dan

Hearth Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Missouri
I had a logging guy come down to the house yesterday evening and ask if I would be interested in letting him dump tops at the top of my driveway any thing 8"down to 2-3" in diameter that I could cut up for fire wood as he will be logging 3 properties near me in the spring and they want nothing over 2-3" left on their place he also said it would be probably 15-20 +/- dump truck loads and he would have his guys dump them spread out as much as possible not just in one big pile. They will be cutting oak, walnut, hickory, and maple. I told him they could if they didn't rut up my pasture to bad.
What do you guys think good or bad decision?

I'd jump on it. In the spring the ground will most likely be soft if your worried about ruts. But if they make too big of a mess with the dump trucks on the soft ground perhaps he will have some kind of cat or bobcat that can smooth things out after they are finished. The wood will likely be a bit on the dirty side, so figure in a coule of chains to get it cut up.

I was able to get some wood earlier this year that was being clear cut for new houses. Mostly cherry and a diamer of around a foot. I let it sit a while and the rain cleaned most of the dirt off that was on it. It was really muddy when it was being cut, but it was really cheap! I know letting it sit saved me some chain wear because it was pretty muddy.

I had a tree company harvest off of our property a few years ago and they too "Stacked" the lap ends. Well I am still cutting the mess up. Their idea of stacking the ends may be far diffrent from yours. There aren't many places more dangerous to be using chain saw than a tangled pile of limbs
Mike

I'd say pile 'er up any which way, you're lucky in my book for sure :)

I like that stuff that's 3 inch, don't have to split it!

I would take it. Just remember how much cutting is involved in 20 dump truck loads!!!

mtarbert said:
I had a tree company harvest off of our property a few years ago and they too "Stacked" the lap ends. Well I am still cutting the mess up. Their idea of stacking the ends may be far diffrent from yours. There aren't many places more dangerous to be using chain saw than a tangled pile of limbs
Mike
there was no talk of stacking just dump it out while driving spreading as much as possible
the tractor and chain will untangle most of it I think

ctlovell said:
I would take it. Just remember how much cutting is involved in 20 dump truck loads!!!

the cutting doesn't bother me as I will be able to drive right up to it not won't have to carry it far

That's a great score, I'd definitely take it, it will be some work, but hey free is free.

I forget where it was that I read it, but there was a tip about contacting tree services about getting wood from them. Be prepared to handle lots of wood. If you find one that will give you the wood, take what they give you, because if you tell them to stop, you may not get them to start again.

Sounds like you'll have plenty of work to do this year! You might even find you can make some money selling some of it. I already warned my wife that if I can get a tree service to give me wood, we may be processing quite a bit of it.

-SF

SlyFerret said:
I forget where it was that I read it, but there was a tip about contacting tree services about getting wood from them. Be prepared to handle lots of wood. If you find one that will give you the wood, take what they give you, because if you tell them to stop, you may not get them to start again.

Sounds like you'll have plenty of work to do this year! You might even find you can make some money selling some of it. I already warned my wife that if I can get a tree service to give me wood, we may be processing quite a bit of it.

-SF
unless they just tear up my pasture I have no intention of telling them to stop.
I didn't have to go looking they came to me :). as far as selling I doubt it since I am cutting for 3 houses mine the wifes dad, and her grandpa thats 13-15 cord a year I have to cut.

[/quote]
"unless they just tear up my pasture I have no intention of telling them to stop.
I didn't have to go looking they came to me :). as far as selling I doubt it since I am cutting for 3 houses mine the wifes dad, and her grandpa thats 13-15 cord a year I have to cut."[/quote]

In this case, I believe I would jump on it. Deal with the ruts after it is cut and stacked. Hope they are telling you right about it all being oak, hickory, walnut and maple. I would sure hate to wake up and find 20 loads of cottonwood, elm and sycamore out there.

Definitely jump on it. The only drawback that I can think of would be if they drag those tops a long ways there will be lots of dirt on the the bottom. The only harm that will do is to make you sharpen your saw more often, which is not a bad thing overall, but that also means replacing a chain a little more often. Still, I'd not bat an eye, but just accept it and say, "Thank you."

I got a tree-service load last spring, couldn't see my driveway for a couple months. Came out to around 3.5 cords, which saved me 10-12 pickup truck trips.

"unless they just tear up my pasture I have no intention of telling them to stop.
I didn't have to go looking they came to me :). as far as selling I doubt it since I am cutting for 3 houses mine the wifes dad, and her grandpa thats 13-15 cord a year I have to cut."[/quote]

In this case, I believe I would jump on it. Deal with the ruts after it is cut and stacked. Hope they are telling you right about it all being oak, hickory, walnut and maple. I would sure hate to wake up and find 20 loads of cottonwood, elm and sycamore out there.[/quote]

they don't waste their time logging that stuff. all they cut around here is oak hickory walnut and maple unless they have dead standing they have to to cut then it is just to get to the stuff that pays.

I think you are insane and shouldn't even consider this... Now that I have convinced you not to do it, here is my address that you can give to them... :cheese:

oldAGE said:
I think you are insane and shouldn't even consider this... Now that I have convinced you not to do it, here is my address that you can give to them... :cheese:

not sure they will go for that kind of drive mid MO to S central WI. I called them and you are 4 miles too far sorry.

crazy_dan said:
oldAGE said:

not sure they will go for that kind of drive mid MO to S central WI. I called them and you are 4 miles too far sorry.

Hey, that means that I am "in range". Please feel free to give them my contact info. :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.