Wood Boiler Planning Checklist?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nofossil

Moderator Emeritus
Hearth Supporter
There have been many threads over the years describing problems that people have had with wood boiler installations. Seems like it would be good to have a step-by-step guide of things to get nailed down / figured out. When everything is going wrong at once it's just too much to deal with.

I'm thinking something along these lines:

1) Figure out your peak and average heat loads - Slantfin or other analysis, verified by historical fossil fuel consumption if possible.
2) Choose a boiler other components that are well matched to your needs, including backup and storage if desired.
3) Work out a solid plumbing / controls design that will handle the heat transfer loads.
4) Get two years ahead on firewood. Two year old wood gives at least 50% more usable heat than green wood - what other investment appreciates 50% in two years?
5) Get the boiler dialed in - draft, primary, secondary, fuel size, operating procedures. After that, change only one thing at a time.
6) Develop a process for planning burns, managing firewood, monitoring performance, cleaning / tuning, whatever else is required.

Perhaps each point could have a paragraph or two explaining where to find resources.

Any thoughts / comments?

5.5) Mandatory item-purchase a cheap moisture meter---this would have saved me a years worth of saying colorful words about my new fancy wood boiler!

7. Put your mixing valve before the pump. :red:
8. seal your chiminey joints.

Just a couple mistakes I made.

I think the issue of having adequate DRY firewood should be #1.
Someone that hasn't heated with wood for an entire season may not have a clue what is involved in cutting ,splitting and stacking 5 to 10 cords of wood 2 years in advance.
Seems like most of the problems we hear about are wood related.

I wonder if parts of the checklist might be appropriate for a sub-paragraph kind of algorithm approach.

IF the decision is made that a primary/secondary system is appropriate (or already in place)... THEN use this checklist.
IF radiant floors are in place or will be installed... THEN use this checklist.

It would be a wonderful accomplishment and something useful for beginners and old hands both.

I still think that #4 might present the toughest concept for people to understand (i.e., get through their skulls). Some folks will never understand that just because the leaves have wilted, that doesn't mean the wood is dry.

You've got a great idea there. Theres a lot of information here on this site that could well use being integrated into an approach like you describe. A resource for obtaining parts and supplies would be a great inclusion a well.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.