Wood Brick Alert - TSC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

littlalex

Hearth Supporter
Oct 6, 2007
Hewitt, NJ
Hello burners...I bought a whole bunch of "Redstone" wood bricks on sale (2.99 - the six pack) from TSC Fri. afternoon and they all were bricks bearing the enviro stamp. They are genuine and If I remember correctly there is some love for this brand. EDIT (also stamped with ECO)

You might want to check with your local TSC.

Haven't burned any as it won't be chill enough until later tonight.

Littllalex

Last edited:
You got lucky. Checked 2 TSC near me and they just had the plain Redstone bricks. None stamped with ECO

can't stand using the block style brick. too big for my f100. what is worse are the crumbly texture on the edges. one handing a 6-7# block while loading stove and have the edge give way is down right dangerous. that is exactly what has happened to me several times.so much for my trial with these things, won't purchase again at any price! have had great burns from canawick and lewis fiber with their 2# style, like better than cordwood. as a reference i've heated with wood , on and off, since the 70's

can't stand using the block style brick. too big for my f100. what is worse are the crumbly texture on the edges. one handing a 6-7# block while loading stove and have the edge give way is down right dangerous. that is exactly what has happened to me several times.so much for my trial with these things, won't purchase again at any price! have had great burns from canawick and lewis fiber with their 2# style, like better than cordwood. as a reference i've heated with wood , on and off, since the 70's

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm looking at getting an f100 next year, and have a number of packages of the big TSC bricks on hand plus some 2lb-ish "Lewis" bricks. I'll make sure to burn those big ones up and just buy the smaller bricks.

I agree that those bricks tend to be very messy! I always open the 3-pack of bricks inside of a small box, and then move the box to in front of the stove and load the block. Then I just have to be careful not to touch the sides of the stove, or the block will shave off sawdust. They burn well and all, but handling of them isn't the greatest. The packaging too seems flimsy and I always have to be careful when selecting blocks to get packages that aren't torn. The lewis bricks are in a far heavier duty plastic wrap and don't have much of any soft spots or dust that comes off.

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm looking at getting an f100 next year, and have a number of packages of the big TSC bricks on hand plus some 2lb-ish "Lewis" bricks. I'll make sure to burn those big ones up and just buy the smaller bricks.

I agree that those bricks tend to be very messy! I always open the 3-pack of bricks inside of a small box, and then move the box to in front of the stove and load the block. Then I just have to be careful not to touch the sides of the stove, or the block will shave off sawdust. They burn well and all, but handling of them isn't the greatest. The packaging too seems flimsy and I always have to be careful when selecting blocks to get packages that aren't torn. The lewis bricks are in a far heavier duty plastic wrap and don't have much of any soft spots or dust that comes off.
I've got two pallets of lewis coming in Fri. 3rd year with these, good product.
the 2# brick of any brand really are the best for an f100. 6-8 brick at a time usually provides a great long burn.
too bad I dislike redstones, on sale this weekend at TSC, $2.99