Wood burning insert replacement blowers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mules

Dec 6, 2005
My new home has a Vermont Stove Company "Shelburne" fireplace insert (circa 1981)
which I discovered had a bad blower when we tried to fire it up. There were bad bearings
on the motor and the tangential blower fan. Since the company
that made the insert is now defunct I tried to fix the blower by replacing the bad
bearings. The blower now runs but it is too noisy. There owners manual shows that there are some "teflon" washers missing
that were to go between the stove and the mounting plate as well as between the mounting
plate and the blower assembly. I couldn't find a source for them. I assume that they were to
isolate the blower from the insert and provide some level of noise abatement as well as keeping
some of the heat from transfering from the insert to the blower assembly. I've resigned myself to replacing
the entire blower but haven't a clue where to find one that will fit this application. I stopped in
at our local "hearth" related shops but they couldn't help.
Anyone have any advice on where to find a suitable replacement blower for this insert?
Are these blower fans typically rather noisy? It really ruins the ambiance when you've got that
fan droning so loud that you have to crank up the tv volume so you can hear. Without the blower
I don't get nearly as much heat into the room.

Being an 80's era insert owner I can tell you that the blowers at full tilt on all of them are noisey. Mine has variable speed so it can be slowed down to cut down on the noise.

Just like the blower on your forced air heating system. It is noisey but the fan blower isn't in the living room.

Replacing the entire blower might be expensive, although you will probably wind up with a quieter model, if you can find one that fits.

If what's shot is the motor, it's a lot easier (and cheaper) to find a new motor and replace it yourself. If there's a make/model number on the motor, google it and see what comes up. I've got an old Dayton forced-air blower that I replaced the motor on for $40 by shopping online. It's quieter than the old, beat one, too.

Mules I have just purchased a Vermont Stove Company Shelburne Catalytic Insert. In your opinion is this unit worth keeping or should I take it back. Does the unit heat well, and do you have any problems with it? I would like to know if there is a chance that I could get a copy of the owners manual from you? Thanks for your time.
ffbnc

I just bought one second hand. I want to love this thing, but the fan is so loud and actually vibrates the floor. Sometimes I get a metal rattle from the brass screen too.

People say it's comeplete junk:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/2411/

Never having had an insert before (only an open fireplace), I'm happy with the heat. I guess the fan could blow with a bit more pressure or airflow, but the air that comes out is HOT. I could not hold my hand 3 inches in front of the airflow for more than maybe 30 seconds. That's not the case anywhere else (3 inches from the stove).

I'd like to know if anyone else has replaced the fan on their motor. I can't tell if the noise could be coming from some loose ductwork, or just the motor itself. I plan on running this thing 24-7 for a few days to heat my house, so a quite fan would be really nice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Part number? Manual? Parts list? So I can get the fan part number without pulling the unit out?

Looking for documentation on "Vermont Stove Company" "Shelburne" (not catalytic) model.

I will pay for information.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• IMG00293.jpg
    IMG00293.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 909
Is yours a "Vermont Stove Company" "Shelburne"? Any idea how I can determine on eBay what blower would fit mine? Are there generic blowers that list all the insertss they'd fit? I can't find one when I seach both titles and descriptions. It seems like it will be easier to get a manual, or pull my insert out to determine what blower I should buy.

Looks like I should maybe replace my blower with the biggest quietest blower I can find. It seems that the patent document I found on the net shows a very simple design for the air flow and a fan connected to no duct work at all. Thanks for all the help! Hopefully I will post a manual soon too.

Status
Not open for further replies.