Wood burning stove with smaller clearance to alcove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mel123

Nov 23, 2020
Vancouver, BC, Canada
We'd like to install a wood burning stove in a new location (no existing chimney) and build a 'fake' chimney breast with a wooden mantlepiece for aesthetic reasons. Looking at clearances for wood burning stoves, many of them require an alcove height of 5' or more, which looks weird and too high to me when I sketch it out. I'm looking for options where the ceiling of the alcove could be lower than 5' from the hearth (4' would be fine, lower than that would be even better). Also if it has relatively small side clearances that would be good so the chimney breast isn't excessively wide. We have an old house so would prefer a somewhat decorative heritage style.
Any suggestions? I'm going a bit crazy looking through manuals.
I'm in Canada and the stove would need to comply with the below standard and hopefully not be too impossible to get hold of.
A bit of a unicorn search - can anyone help??

CAN/ CSA B415.1-10 “Performance Testing of Solid-Fuel-Burning Heating Appliances” or EPA Title 40, Part 60, Subpart AAA - “Standards of Performance for New Residential Wood Heaters”, and shall
a) produce not more than 2.5 grams per hour of particulate air contaminant emissions for catalytic appliances, or
b) produce not more than 4.5 grams per hour of particulate air contaminant emissions for non-catalytic appliances.

Also, am I just imagining things with the 5' clearance - do other people think this looks odd? I guess the stoves are intended for a freestanding installation where it wouldn't matter - suggestions for alternatives that would keep that look but still allow us to burn wood also welcome (maybe an insert??)

We'd like to install a wood burning stove in a new location (no existing chimney) and build a 'fake' chimney breast with a wooden mantlepiece for aesthetic reasons. Looking at clearances for wood burning stoves, many of them require an alcove height of 5' or more, which looks weird and too high to me when I sketch it out. I'm looking for options where the ceiling of the alcove could be lower than 5' from the hearth (4' would be fine, lower than that would be even better). Also if it has relatively small side clearances that would be good so the chimney breast isn't excessively wide. We have an old house so would prefer a somewhat decorative heritage style.
Any suggestions? I'm going a bit crazy looking through manuals.
I'm in Canada and the stove would need to comply with the below standard and hopefully not be too impossible to get hold of.
A bit of a unicorn search - can anyone help??

CAN/ CSA B415.1-10 “Performance Testing of Solid-Fuel-Burning Heating Appliances” or EPA Title 40, Part 60, Subpart AAA - “Standards of Performance for New Residential Wood Heaters”, and shall
a) produce not more than 2.5 grams per hour of particulate air contaminant emissions for catalytic appliances, or
b) produce not more than 4.5 grams per hour of particulate air contaminant emissions for non-catalytic appliances.

Also, am I just imagining things with the 5' clearance - do other people think this looks odd? I guess the stoves are intended for a freestanding installation where it wouldn't matter - suggestions for alternatives that would keep that look but still allow us to burn wood also welcome (maybe an insert??)
Hello and welcome! How about a high efficiency fireplace

Thanks. The website doesn't seem to have any technical details or measurements, which is frustrating.
It sure does. Click on one of the products, scroll down to "Description ", it is a drop menu, click on it and select "Specs/manual". Interior and exterior measurements will be found by scrolling down. Pacific Energy has some nice units too