Wood burning stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Itslay90

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2022
Upstate,NY
If all your wood is free other than your labor for cutting splitting and stacking is it really worth investing in the latest most efficient stove ??

If all your wood is free other than your labor for cutting splitting and stacking is it really worth investing in the latest most efficient stove ??
It depends what your upgrading from and what your upgrading to

Personally I will never go back to a epa $tove. Cost and maintenance. My Fisher mamma bear will last my lifetime. Occasional firebrick is all I have to do to it. For me a shorter burn time isn't that big a deal.

Reactions: Itslay90
There are good EPA stoves that require minimal maintenance. The door gasket and firebrick are about all they need. I've spent less than $100 in the past 14 yrs. on our stove.
If the pre-EPA stove is burning 25% more wood then that's 25% more labor to process it. The wood may be free, but gas, oil, and equipment maintenance is not. And then there is the fire view. Some folks really like seeing the fire.

This was asked and discussed just last May.

Reactions: cahaak and bholler
Personally I will never go back to a epa $tove. Cost and maintenance. My Fisher mamma bear will last my lifetime. Occasional firebrick is all I have to do to it. For me a shorter burn time isn't that big a deal.
What epa stove did you have?

Like bhollar said, it depends what you are upgrading to and from.
If you don’t have a stove, yes. Its safer and more efficient to run an EPA $tove, than buy used and get an old stove that may of us remembering someone in our past having.

Oh I just looked and found you had a Harman. No wonder your complaining about durability. They were pretty horrible

Reactions: begreen
Yes, the Oakwood and Leyden were failed experiments. They were pretty, but temperamental and failure-prone much like other downdrafts with a refractory package afterburner.

My EPA Jotul F400 has been excellent for me. Many here think other stoves are better and i'm sure they are. But the EPA f400 works great and shows the fire very well. There are even better EPA stoves so casting disparaging remarks on Every EPA stove is just Silly. Shows very little thought and very much closed mindedness.

You are welcome to stop by my house and check it out. It's about 80F in here with it now. Super comfortable!

Oh , and maintenance cost has been $0 in the past 4 years.

Last edited:
Depending on the old and new stoves and wind patterns, you may breathe less smoke while burning.