Wood burning too fast with the damper almost shut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ucanhackett

Mar 10, 2010
Wester, NY USA
What could be causing my wood to burn fast with damper almost shut? I have US Blaze stove and we put a manuel damper in the pipe when we first got it as the one in the stove let in too much air. The chimney was cleaned yesterday and now my wood is burining fast with the damper almost shut. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Not sure what a US Blaze Stove is, but if it's drawing hard, close the flue damper all the way. It can't block the pipe completely. There are holes in the damper plate.

What kind of flue is on the stove?

Welcome to the forum ucanhackett.

Yes, with the flue damper closed that will restrict the air flow so the stove should not burn too fast. With you being a new wood burner I am wondering what you consider burning too fast? Is it just that the stove is throwing too much heat? Answer then is to put less wood in, especially this time of the year. Small fires and you can burn them hot but put too much wood in and then you are trying to slow the stove down. It doesn't work too well and you'll end up with even more problems. If the wood is marginal then by trying to smother the fire you will end up with some big time creosote problems....and you do not want that.

New wood burners: check your chimney at least once per month.

Is this a modern EPA rated stove? If it is not and isn't airtight then you might be able to overcome what benefit you are getting from closing down the damper through air comming in from the ungasketed joints in the stove. This is just pure speculation though without knowing what kind of stove you have.
Joe

ucanhackett said:
What could be causing my wood to burn fast with damper almost shut? I have US Blaze stove and we put a manuel damper in the pipe when we first got it as the one in the stove let in too much air. The chimney was cleaned yesterday and now my wood is burining fast with the damper almost shut. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Does it have a ash pan, if it does make sure it's shut.

zap

Sounds like you've got a leak. When I've got a roaring fire and I shut the air off I can hear the flames sucking for air. There's only so much air my 15' chimney will pull. If you've got a long chimney that big draft can pull REALLY hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.