Wood drying already.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Hickory , and walnut cut fresh in April , now all split and stacked is already drying way faster than expected, the heavy bark is coming off and cracks are everywhere.
The spot does get lots of direct sun, my guess is next year at this time it can be used. I won't need it for quite some time though, as I try to burn the oldest wood supply first. Here hickory shedding its bark already

w6.jpg

Last edited:
Getting that bark off is the real trick to faster seasoning. I had an elm that was a pain to get the bark off. Burnt it anyway and the bark made so much ash I was cleaning it out after every fire. I have some oak and maple about as far along and this for next year. Stay warm.

For being a hardwood, hickory consistently dries faster than the other hardwoods I have encountered. I like how the bark ....on pignut at least...comes off in big chunks after it has been cut for a few months. Makes for some clean firewood.

Getting that bark off is the real trick to faster seasoning. I had an elm that was a pain to get the bark off. Burnt it anyway and the bark made so much ash I was cleaning it out after every fire. I have some oak and maple about as far along and this for next year. Stay warm.
I actually de-bark about 90% of my splits, well seasoned wood makes the process easier and quicker, but worth it, I enjoy meaningless tasks after dealing with clowns all day.