Will be moving this under cover soon.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarmisle

Sep 28, 2022
Ohio
This was stacked last April ,all hickory, red oak, walnut and locust , direct sun most of the day, checking some splits this weekend showed most at 18% to 20%, it will go in a covered lean to.A little over 250 feet of primo stuff years worth, won't get to it for years.

w4.jpg

Good God what a monster wood pile of top quality wood. Are you going to burn all that yourself? How big is your house?

Good God what a monster wood pile of top quality wood. Are you going to burn all that yourself? How big is your house?
I'd take everything but the Walnut. 😏
But yeah, that's one impressive stack _g ..good work!

2000 sq feet, I will burn it all eventually, lasts indefinitely under a roof. Can never have to much,I have twice what you see under inside buildings now. THX

I burn black walnut frequently. I like it.

It looks like enough wood to heat the Governor's Mansion for 9 years.

Walnut is beautiful shoulder season wood, from my experiences burning it,THX
Yeah, I was just kinda funnin' ya. ;) I actually haven't burned much Walnut. Some of what I did burn came from old tops that were out there about twenty years. They were off the ground, and it's rot-resistant wood, but they still were probably compromised to some degree. Seemed like it didn't flame up a lot, just smoldered, and made quite a bit of ash. There are some more Walnut tops on a neighbor's property, fresh stuff, so I'll probably grab a bit at one point, to give it a fair shot.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a wood snob by any stretch--I burn a lot of lower-output shoulder-type woods, and some pretty dodgy semi-punked stuff as well. l draw the line at about 18 MBTU/cord, though. I don't mess with Tulip, Crottenwood or Pine, except maybe as kindling. On the lists I use, Walnut comes in around 20 MBTU/cord, about like Black Cherry or American Elm.
I'm still peeved that some Cherry I've had split and stacked for a summer and a half is apparently still not dry. It feels heavy, and gunks the glass. And these are medium-small splits! 🤨