My ten year stash.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
About 285 feet of all red oak, hickory and walnut split in big pieces, works well in the BK.
This was cut in April , one short stack of poplar far end. A 10 x 12 woodshed of shoulder season ash and cherry, and a 12X24 covered lean two all black locust. I'll top cover the stacks and when seasoned move into the lean two or woodshed , lots of work done here this summer. The shoulder wood is 2 to 3 years old,the locust is ten years or more old. This spot gets direct sun most of the day, this stuff will be burnable next year but probably won't get to it.

w1.jpg w2.jpg w3.jpg w4.jpg w5.jpg w6.jpg w7.jpg

Impressive to say the least.

at least now I know the mark to strive for! wow!
I am getting a pickup load of logs tomorrow. kinda pales by comparison......
(2023/24 firewood logs...) - does that make them futuristic?

Bro, that's excessive.

nice! I've also got about 13 years worth of it on hand. I normally burn between 4.5 and 5 cord a winter, although last winter I didn't even make it to 4 cord. I currently have 65+ full cord of mostly red/white oak on hand.

I'll be burning 6 1/2 year old stuff this winter, 7 1/2 next winter and 8 1/2 the following winter.

Since this was recorded, I sold 5 cord and burned 4 cord. I then added back in ~11 cord this past spring....so net result of what I currently have is ~2 cord more than what you see here.

Last edited:
ohlongarm You put a new meaning to the saying to plan ahead. I burn about 10-15 cord a year in my Garn and I do have this years and next years loaded in trailers and in the shed but I sure wish I had a 5 or 10 year supply ready.

Reactions: jaoneill
ohlongarm You put a new meaning to the saying to plan ahead. I burn about 10-15 cord a year in my Garn and I do have this years and next years loaded in trailers and in the shed but I sure wish I had a 5 or 10 year supply ready.
No big deal , luck played a part in this stash, and timing, plus i love cutting and splitting. I've got enough dead ash on my acreage to keep me in ash firewood for another ten years. I'm going to cut it in to rounds all winter.

nice! I've also got about 13 years worth of it on hand. I normally burn between 4.5 and 5 cord a winter, although last winter I didn't even make it to 4 cord. I currently have 65+ full cord of mostly red/white oak on hand.

I'll be burning 6 1/2 year old stuff this winter, 7 1/2 next winter and 8 1/2 the following winter.

Since this was recorded, I sold 5 cord and burned 4 cord. I then added back in ~11 cord this past spring....so net result of what I currently have is ~2 cord more than what you see here.

Where did you get the rubber roofing material?
I like how you double stacked the pallets.

Where did you get the rubber roofing material?
I like how you double stacked the pallets.

A local commercial roofing company. They have to pay to dispose of it I guess so they sell the take-off's -very- cheap.

I get the pallets free from the family farm and pick up 35 of them every year at Thanksgiving.

I'm gonna look into rubber roofing. I've been using tarp covered plywood which is expensive and annoying.

I think the rubber roofing only works when you have well separated single stacks that you can cover individually like yours, since the rubber strips are so narrow.

Do rodents ever chew through the rubber? My tarps are constantly getting chomped on.

Last edited:
I think the rubber roofing only works when you have well separated single stacks that you can cover individually like yours, since the rubber strips are so narrow.
The stuff I got ran from 6', to 10' wide rolls...some of it too wide really...had to cut it down even to use on double wide 20" stacks.
I've tried pretty much everything for covers and the EPDM rubber is the best IMO...I use old tires with holes drilled in the sidewalls (so they don't hold water) to hold the rubber down...the black all blends together so it doesn't look too bad that way either.

The stuff I got ran from 6', to 10' wide rolls...some of it too wide really...had to cut it down even to use on double wide 20" stacks.

yep, same here. I got wide rolls of it and I cut them down to the width I need.

Tarps over plywood works but it's a pain every time I need to get to a stack. I see rubber roofing in my future.

Stacks.jpg