Wood drying in the heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now for the naysayers. We got a bit over an inch of rain last night. More on the way by the looks of things. Believe it or not, we are above average rainfall for July. Did it come too late? For some things, yes. For others, no.

What do you northern boys consider hot weather? We haven't had a day with a high temp under 96 for 7 weeks and we've been over 100 for the last 10 days straight with no end in sight. 108 today but it's supposed to warm up tomorrow and hist 112 or better for the rest of the week. Humidity runs into the low 40% range.

Most of what I cut last season was either standing dead or had been bulldozed and down for close to a year.
As a rookie I'll still be testing it to see what I'm getting.

What do you northern boys consider hot weather? We haven't had a day with a high temp under 96 for 7 weeks and we've been over 100 for the last 10 days straight with no end in sight. 108 today but it's supposed to warm up tomorrow and hist 112 or better for the rest of the week. Humidity runs into the low 40% range.

Most of what I cut last season was either standing dead or had been bulldozed and down for close to a year.

What did them trees die of sunstroke?? or heatstroke???

I consider what you described as hot weather.

For me anything over 80 is getting hot. 90 to 100 with high rh about killed me. I'm guessing that 70 to 75 is sweatshirt weather for you? 108 to 112, Holy chit, I'd melt. A C

The normal temeratures for the summer are now started dropping. Very little, but dropping from the high of 82-60. At present, the normal is 81-60. With this, for sure anything over 85 is hot for us.

News was discussing that the Great Lakes water temp is quit a bit above normal.
Not sure what that will cause, More Lake effect snow this winter ?

Only more lake effect if we have very cold air moving across that water. Some years it gets interesting.

No wonder your wood don't dry out up there if it doesn't get any warmer than that:p.
In January I was cutting wood with temps on the low 70s.

Dave, apparently you're a bit of a weather geek too? Local weatherman has a blog that is quite active. I've been reading model forecasts for this coming winter, & many people looking up & prognosticating from analog data. So far it's about 50/50 on either another mild winter, or colder than normal. Colder would make early season LES, warmer might mean more clouds & lake effect rain showers depending on wind direction, frontal systems, clippers, etc. The 2 models that called last winter the closest were discarded in favor of the others. Those same 2 models, the japanese & north american are both calling for cold & snowy patterns this winter. Last winter our precip was above avg. but so were temps, so more rain. I have no clue, but there's the La nina going to weak el nino, upper jet stream shift, Greenland blocking ridge, yada, yada, yada. Bottom line is I make sure to have plenty of wood, clean chimney, & the plow on the truck, & then look out the window in the early morning to see if I need to plow the lot before I open. I do a lot of plow & truck repair in the winter, so here's hoping for more snow than last year. Ask me in March, & I can give you a really accurate winter forecast.:) Hope that post didn't put you to sleep. A C

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Here in Virginia I get pretty excited if it stays in low 90s with low humidity. This week is calling for temps in the high 80s (88 I believe) and I'm hoping to split about 2 cords.

Last year we barely had a winter at all. It was cold at times but we got virtually no snow. I would love to have a really snowy winter here this year - kids and I love to play in it. I don't mind the cold too much - that is why I cut all that wood after all!

Dave, apparently you're a bit of a weather geek too? Local weatherman has a blog that is quite active. I've been reading model forecasts for this coming winter, & many people looking up & prognosticating from analog data. So far it's about 50/50 on either another mild winter, or colder than normal. Colder would make early season LES, warmer might mean more clouds & lake effect rain showers depending on wind direction, frontal systems, clippers, etc. The 2 models that called last winter the closest were discarded in favor of the others. Those same 2 models, the japanese & north american are both calling for cold & snowy patterns this winter. Last winter our precip was above avg. but so were temps, so more rain. I have no clue, but there's the La nina going to weak el nino, upper jet stream shift, Greenland blocking ridge, yada, yada, yada. Bottom line is I make sure to have plenty of wood, clean chimney, & the plow on the truck, & then look out the window in the early morning to see if I need to plow the lot before I open. I do a lot of plow & truck repair in the winter, so here's hoping for more snow than last year. Ask me in March, & I can give you a really accurate winter forecast.:) Hope that post didn't put you to sleep. A C

Its still too early to forecast the weather pattern but either weak el nino and a stronger one it usually comes down to the NAO for causing the most wintry weather, A -NAO (greenland block) will bottle up the cold weather in the north/northeast USA. Too early to tell but if I had to make a guess I would go with a colder winter than last year based on current models.

Its still too early to forecast the weather pattern but either weak el nino and a stronger one it usually comes down to the NAO for causing the most wintry weather, A -NAO (greenland block) will bottle up the cold weather in the north/northeast USA. Too early to tell but if I had to make a guess I would go with a colder winter than last year based on current models.

Hey weatherguy, thanks for the reply, I'd forgotten to apply a little common sense to your handle on the forum. As you've no doubt figured out by now, I know nothing about forecasting the weather, just fascinated by the science behind it. Appreciate some real insight from someone that has experience.

Now I'm gonna tease ya little. A colder winter than last year forecast is prolly a really safe bet for this winter, at least around these parts.==c When in your estimation might this hot pattern break down for our area? Thanks. A C

Lots of "Good examples".
That's why it said on here. "Wood only starts to season after it is CSS (Cut, Split & Stacked)
(some exceptions for some species of long standing dead trees)

Better seasoning if it's off the ground, with good air circulation & space between the rows.

Best (the "Gold standard") is like Papadave does it, off the ground in a single row, but you need a mile long field (& a laser for straightness ;) ) to season a few cords:
Papadave's seasoning stacks:
View attachment 70786

& it still takes "time" ;)
Dave gives me too much credit (check's in the mail, dave;lol ). Those stacks aren't as straight as they may look.==c They're "eyeball" straight.:cool: It's fun what can be done with a camera.;)
Dex is the one with the "laser eye".
Last year, I extended those 2 rows another 16' for a total of 112'. Only one is full, and since I only stack 5' high, it's just under 6 cord. When I first started those (2008), they were 6', but soon started doing some pretty interesting leans.
2 years is pretty good back there with fuul sun and wind exposure all year, but with the oak, 2.5-3 is much better. Maple does well in about one year.
If I get another log load, I'd like to make it Ash for shorter seasoning times, and yet still get decent burns/coals.
I think it was zap who posted the forecast map last year where the prognosticators were thinking we ( and others) were in the "coldest and snowiest" bubble.
Yeah, warmest winter I can remember.
I'm with Dennis, lots of guys/gals now seeing the light and getting wood earlier, and stacking in sun or at least windy areas. Makes me happy to see less waste (and this is coming from a guy using an old "airtight" stove:mad:) because of it. It's analogous to wasting any kind of fuel or resource if you have an affordable option.
I'll be on that bandwagon next year.:)

I can really tell from this summer how my wood from last year has seasoned over this summer. Like right now we have about 106 outside and its sucking the living life out of everything. Winter will be here before we know it.

That'd last about 2 weeks before falling over with the wind that blows through here!

I don't know anything about warmer than normal. We broke records for coldest July this year.

I will burn some wood that I am cutting and splitting right now. By mid winter it will be dry enough to burn decent.

Lots of "Good examples".
That's why it said on here. "Wood only starts to season after it is CSS (Cut, Split & Stacked)
(some exceptions for some species of long standing dead trees)

Better seasoning if it's off the ground, with good air circulation & space between the rows.

Best (the "Gold standard") is like Papadave does it, off the ground in a single row, but you need a mile long field (& a laser for straightness ;) ) to season a few cords:
Papadave's seasoning stacks:
View attachment 70786

& it still takes "time" ;)

We don't always get that. Winter before we had record breaking snow fall and record low temps of -30.
Usually we get something in the middle :).

I know im just joking i'm originally from North Texas, it can be the coldest place in the nation. And the hottest.

Hey weatherguy, thanks for the reply, I'd forgotten to apply a little common sense to your handle on the forum. As you've no doubt figured out by now, I know nothing about forecasting the weather, just fascinated by the science behind it. Appreciate some real insight from someone that has experience.

Now I'm gonna tease ya little. A colder winter than last year forecast is prolly a really safe bet for this winter, at least around these parts.==c When in your estimation might this hot pattern break down for our area? Thanks. A C
Good question as I usually only spend time looking at models in fall and winter as its my favorite and most exciting time of the year. Looks like its broken here in the northeast, its cool out tonight and looks like 70's all week.
It wouldnt be out of the question to have another mild winter but it doesnt look that way at the moment. I assume you get the majority of your snow from lake effect?

Good question as I usually only spend time looking at models in fall and winter as its my favorite and most exciting time of the year. Looks like its broken here in the northeast, its cool out tonight and looks like 70's all week.
It wouldnt be out of the question to have another mild winter but it doesnt look that way at the moment. I assume you get the majority of your snow from lake effect?

In a "normal winter" yes, for some reason we seem to miss out on the big synoptic snow events for some reason. Same with a lot of severe weather events. Many here call it the lake michigan storm shredder. I call it good fortune mostly, les is very light & dry, easy to plow & shovel in comparison to storm snow. 20* with sunshine after a few inches of light fluffy snow is just beautiful in the winter. A C

In a "normal winter" yes, for some reason we seem to miss out on the big synoptic snow events for some reason. Same with a lot of severe weather events. Many here call it the lake michigan storm shredder. I call it good fortune mostly, les is very light & dry, easy to plow & shovel in comparison to storm snow. 20* with sunshine after a few inches of light fluffy snow is just beautiful in the winter. A C

Whats you yearly avg for snowfall AC? We average 70 but some winters get 100 and some we get 40, with good blocking and a weak nino we usually clean up, we can get in a pattern where we get storms every 3-4 days, its awesome, Im in heaven after a good 2-3 footer, its like a holiday.

Whats you yearly avg for snowfall AC? We average 70 but some winters get 100 and some we get 40, with good blocking and a weak nino we usually clean up, we can get in a pattern where we get storms every 3-4 days, its awesome, Im in heaven after a good 2-3 footer, its like a holiday.

I think Grand Rapids avg is in the 80" area as well iirc. I'm south about 25 miles, & in a bit of a "snowbelt" for les so I'm guessing we're more like 90" to 100" on avg. With the conditions you describe above we can have the same results, good snowfall every 3-4 days as Alberta clippers roll through with a NW wind component, it'll snow here & sun to the North. We seldom get a 2 footer here as most of the heavy snow producing lows seem to track just south of us & then turn back North up the Ohio river valley. If you get bored this winter, watch the models @ 36 to 72 hrs & they'll call for heavy snow here right up to the last run or 2, then take the low se of us. I'm guessing our winters are very similar on avg. by what you describe. The difference I'll bet is cloud cover, as we get plenty off the lake. A C

7Day_RV_660.jpg

They said that last year about the Great Lakes, if it all comes together certain areas will get nailed.

zap

We've never broken 90°. Anything above 75 is a hot day, not many 70 days this year.
However , -39° is below cold ;)

Wasilla, AK, Temperatures:
Record highs in red, lows in dark blue

avg wthr.jpg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.