wood (fascia/soffit) immediately next to chimney wall is rot out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Cricket is a good way to go. Had a similar situation on my old house and its not just rain you need to worry about but snow that caused the problem. It would build up freeze and refreeze then find its way into any weak point. Cricket solved the trouble.

Hi jatoxico,

Thank you for reply. we had extensive snow during winter, that might be same situation as yours. If it's handy, can you share a photo of yours, how you set up cricket...?

Many thanks!

All you need is a peice of metal like sodbuster said to divert the majoity of the water coming doen the roof back doen the inside of the chimney and down the roof to the gutter yes doing half of a cricket would be a little better and when you reroof you might want to do that but the metal will work fine. And yes new growth wood will not last as long with water leaking onto it. But if that flashing is good there would be no issue.
Hi bholler, Thank you for your suggestion, I really appreciate :)

That roof doesn't look to bad. Still laying flat. If the roof has more life I would fix up that area with a cricket to run the water downhill.
I am debating about roof life. a roof company come to estimate the new roof, I asked how is the roof, all he gave me is the cost to replace one. Is there any guy offer the service to evaluate the roof? if I search in Angie's List Inc what should I search for?

Many thanks!

Hi jatoxico,

Thank you for reply. we had extensive snow during winter, that might be same situation as yours. If it's handy, can you share a photo of yours, how you set up cricket...?

Many thanks!
Sorry hiba old house. Pretty standard stuff though.

Flashed wrong -- roofers still haven't figured out that water runs downhill.

Get an "old-timey" carpenter that truly understands construction, & knows how to fix youngsters mistakes!

Yes, water should be to the downslope, not over the edge like that (creating your problem).
The roofers most likely laid the roofing over the crappy carpenters deckwork. Yes, the roofers should have either had the carpenters fix the issue before laying the roof down, or fixed it themselves. In new work developments, all work is bid by the square and per bid specs. If the work was not part of the roofers bid, then it ain't getting done for nothing. FYI, roofers are the ones who have to cover many carpenters crap work, including decking.

Reactions: bcrtops
There are 3 options here:
1. Install a diverter on the roof 18" or so above chimney. Basically an "L" bend flashing with 2" to 3" vertical bend, and 18" to 24"or so pan on roof side. Installed on an angle to divert the water back to the main field and away from the problem area. Quickest, easiest, may solve the problem, may not.

2. Remove the shingles behind the chimney about 2' to 3' up, install a new base flashing that extends up the chimney wall under the counter flashing, also extends a couple inches over the edge where the problem area is, and lets any water run off away from the soffit and fascia. The other end extends 8"-12" past the chimney corner, and is worked in with the shingles as not to buck water. Better than #1.

3. Add a cricket, which is merely 2" x 4" built up on the rake edge(area over the soffit and fascia issue area), with a triangular pc of plywood decking to slope downward to the main roof surface past the chimney corner. Then lay ice and water shield over the cricket, and reshingle with step flashing along the chimney along down the slope. Run the first step flashing at least 1" past the corner of the chimney to divert water away from the chimney corner and out onto the main field. You may have to cut a new reglet in the back of the chimney higher and install new reglet flashing to accommodate for the new slope. The new shingles on the cricket will be run perpendicular to the main field shingles, or make a metal pan to lay in there and leave the shingles off. Basically 1/2 of the cricket picture posted in the thread. Best solution, better than 1 & 2. The truly proper way to complete.

All solutions require you to remove the shingles in the area and inspect the roof decking and replace if needed, as well as sectioning in new soffit and fascia at same time. Ice and water recommended in all 3 options. Overkill is better in this area.

The attached photos give you an idea of each option. For reference only.

Lucked out, and found a shot for the cricket with nice wood piles in the background ;-)

Attachments

• 850-easy-outdoor-living-5-danny-rain-diverter.jpg
    850-easy-outdoor-living-5-danny-rain-diverter.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 228
  • 110171-57f6b51d1d201_chimney-flashing.jpg
    110171-57f6b51d1d201_chimney-flashing.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 262
  • Fenley35.jpg
    Fenley35.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Reactions: bcrtops
From what I see in the photos, you are nowhere near needing a new roof. PM me if you have more questions, and I'll give you my phone number. If you were closer, I'd come help you with it. If you want to buy a plane ticket to Chitown, I'll fly out over a weekend and do it. Cheaper to DIY. Your on the right track and reseach is golden.

Reactions: vinny11950
Note to self. Don't buy a house with masonry chimney and if I must, it needs to be at the peak! I don't even like roofing valleys, so this cricket work looks awful.

Note to self. Don't buy a house with masonry chimney and if I must, it needs to be at the peak! I don't even like roofing valleys, so this cricket work looks awful.
Nothing wrong with chimneys if properly flashed. Been done since man started making homes other than caves and huts. Crickets are pretty easy, and can't really be seen much from the ground.