Wood fired hot tub?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Heating it, and the fact that it’s salt water (salt itself is a preservative), probably negate any potential threats. Anyways, it’s pretty common over there, and we don’t hear about Norwegians dying off because of it, so I’m just going to assume that it’s safe. If you’re going to worry about something in Norway being dangerous, worry about their roads! Skinny little roads that occasionally reduce from two lanes to one lane, but everybody drives the same speed regardless. THAT got my attention!
Heating water, salty or not, to 101-104 df is not really doing much besides encouraging bacterial growth. I would assume they have some kind of ozone or ionizing system to kill bacteria and other harmful microbes in the water. Plus, human skin is covered in bacteria and other microbes that are salt water resistant. I have been researching ways to clean water without using bromide, chlorine, and other traditional pool chemicals. Just because a group of people use a product does not mean it is safe. Asbestos, arsenic, and many other toxic building materials have been used over history.

Heating water, salty or not, to 101-104 df is not really doing much besides encouraging bacterial growth. I would assume they have some kind of ozone or ionizing system to kill bacteria and other harmful microbes in the water. Plus, human skin is covered in bacteria and other microbes that are salt water resistant. I have been researching ways to clean water without using bromide, chlorine, and other traditional pool chemicals. Just because a group of people use a product does not mean it is safe. Asbestos, arsenic, and many other toxic building materials have been used over history.

I was sitting here, scratching my head, trying to figure out how you were comparing ocean water to arsenic. I realized that you must have thought that they leave the water in the hot tub for a long period of time. Yeah, in that case, if you left any water in a hot tub for a long period of time without some very harsh chemicals, then it would be pretty nasty. But no, the ocean is 20 feet from the hot tub. They run a big hose down to the ocean and fill it up in ten minutes. It probably sits in there for a day or two tops. Then the plug is pulled and it drains back down to the ocean. Much healthier than bathing in arsenic. :)

The Snorkel hot tub company's FAQ: "Many of our wood-fired tub owners opt for Japanese-style tubbing: they drain the tub after a couple of uses, give it a quick cleaning, and refill it. Other wood-fired tub owners leave their tubs filled and add chlorine or bromine." So the refill approach would make sense if living next to the water where wood is plentiful.

I've never done it with wood, but a freshly filled electric hot tub with cold water takes a while to heat, like a few days. Are wood fired tubs much quicker to heat? The ionizing and ozone devices when combined with lightly salted water seem to keep the tubs pretty clean for a while, but require more frequent water changes than a chemical treated pool.

I've never done it with wood, but a freshly filled electric hot tub with cold water takes a while to heat, like a few days. Are wood fired tubs much quicker to heat? The ionizing and ozone devices when combined with lightly salted water seem to keep the tubs pretty clean for a while, but require more frequent water changes than a chemical treated pool.

Actually it only takes a few hours at most with a 220 connection. Just filled our new tub about two weeks ago from the outside spigot . . . it was raising the temp within the hour and by the next morning was up to temp at 101 degrees.

Actually it only takes a few hours at most with a 220 connection. Just filled our new tub about two weeks ago from the outside spigot . . . it was raising the temp within the hour and by the next morning was up to temp at 101 degrees.
That sounds much better, the hot tub I used previously was a 110 unit, and probably had some other issues. What's your power usage like? We want a large indoor soaking tub, but I feel like what would work better for us is a hot tub. I've been researching ways to keep the water clean using only ozone, ionization, and hydrogen peroxide, but not a lot of people out there using this method. The biggest turn off for us getting a hot tub is using chemicals to keep the water "clean".

That sounds much better, the hot tub I used previously was a 110 unit, and probably had some other issues. What's your power usage like? We want a large indoor soaking tub, but I feel like what would work better for us is a hot tub. I've been researching ways to keep the water clean using only ozone, ionization, and hydrogen peroxide, but not a lot of people out there using this method. The biggest turn off for us getting a hot tub is using chemicals to keep the water "clean".

Only had this one for a couple weeks so I don't have a good feel on its energy usage yet. Older tub had a different set up -- it was a 220 connection, but used a constant low speed pump for filtration vs. this tub which uses a larger pump which kicks on at pre-determined times for filtration . . . also different insulation set ups. I know the last hot tub we had resulted in a $20-$30/month increase . . . at least I think that was what it was . . . worth it for my wife who doesn't do much outside in the winter.

Ozone generators and reportedly salt units can cut down on the amount of chemical . . . but I think most experts say you still need to use some sanitizing agent. I try to take a shower before getting in to remove soap, body oils, anti-perspirant, etc. and many folks either skinny dip or have swimsuits just for the hot tub to reduce suds and other contaminants.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Only had this one for a couple weeks so I don't have a good feel on its energy usage yet. Older tub had a different set up -- it was a 220 connection, but used a constant low speed pump for filtration vs. this tub which uses a larger pump which kicks on at pre-determined times for filtration . . . also different insulation set ups. I know the last hot tub we had resulted in a $20-$30/month increase . . . at least I think that was what it was . . . worth it for my wife who doesn't do much outside in the winter.

Ozone generators and reportedly salt units can cut down on the amount of chemical . . . but I think most experts say you still need to use some sanitizing agent. I try to take a shower before getting in to remove soap, body oils, anti-perspirant, etc. and many folks either skinny dip or have swimsuits just for the hot tub to reduce suds and other contaminants.

When we lived in NC our landlord let us use her hot tub, on the condition that we not wash our bathing suits with soap and shower before getting in. I've read that the hydrogen peroxide can be the sanitizing agent, but not a lot of opinions out there from experts, but those experts usually have some interest in keeping the status quo, so it's hard to tell for sure if the alternatives are actually effective. I suppose we could try the alternatives and worst case scenario we have to add more chemicals. My wife is the same and doesn't leave the stove or bathtub in winter unless absolutely necessary.

All of the wood fired hot tubs I've seen have nothing in the way of insulation. Maybe that $20-30 extra every month isn't so bad.

The bottom of the page where this link takes you shows heating rates for different tub sizes using wood, gas and electric.

Reactions: SpaceBus