Wood fired kiln

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Now I love the idea of a solar fired kiln, will get it done one day even if it is a Shelterlogic that seems to get less than stellar reviews for durability. But having an old smoke dragon laying around, a bunch of wood that is pretty rotten, I have recently been wondering if anyone has experience with a wood fired kiln. Perhaps one of the many cheap sheet metal steel sheds that seem to appear on CL, a fan or two, and the proper deference to safety considerations, this could work! Anyone have the same thoughts?

You might as well give it a try. I don't know if mine is going to work.

I can see having the stove and a woodpile in the same metal building. Are you going to setup some kind of OAK to feed the stove humid air while the air in the shed gets drier and drier?

How are you going to collect or vent the moisture you drive off the wood?

Just curious, no reason for it to not work.

You might as well give it a try. I don't know if mine is going to work.

I can see having the stove and a woodpile in the same metal building. Are you going to setup some kind of OAK to feed the stove humid air while the air in the shed gets drier and drier?

How are you going to collect or vent the moisture you drive off the wood?

Just curious, no reason for it to not work.
Do you think that the airflow through the stove and exhaust would be enough venting of the humidity? I think I'll try that first based on how dry the air gets in the house from burning the stove, and plan b will be to work on additional venting based on the results. Probably start with some vents at the bottom of the structure for the airflow.

I don't think an OAK would be an advantage - you want that stove pulling the humid air inside to out. That said - keep in mind you are talking about a small area - make sure you are not starving the stove for combustion air. Consider "extra" vents in the building.

why not set it up like a smoke house? wood stove outside/underneath the building and the shed acting as part of the flue. this would allow the entire space inside the shed usable for wood drying. the space and clearances needed for the stove inside would drastically reduce efficiency. and when your not drying wood you could smoke hams and bacon. getting the shed to 165* might be the tricky part, although not needed unless you plan on marketing/selling. jmo

why not set it up like a smoke house? wood stove outside/underneath the building and the shed acting as part of the flue. this would allow the entire space inside the shed usable for wood drying. the space and clearances needed for the stove inside would drastically reduce efficiency. and when your not drying wood you could smoke hams and bacon. getting the shed to 165* might be the tricky part, although not needed unless you plan on marketing/selling. jmo
I like the idea of a dual purpose set up. I'll need to start raising my own pigs! That said, I'm not sure I'm prepared to either digging a hole that big, or raising the whole structure up on stilts.

I would use an old shipping container and insulate it and install a woodstove in it with an OAK so you can seal it up and have mechanical vents in the top to let out moisture. That has been my dream for years.

Kiln-Dried-Firewood~~element109.jpg

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I would use an old shipping container and insulate it and install a woodstove in it with an OAK so you can seal it up and have mechanical vents in the top to let out moisture. That has been my dream for years.

View attachment 172073
That is actually a fantastic idea! I have heard that there is a surplus of these coming over from China, and we don't export enough back to them, so they are available. I've heard the price is about $2,000. Might as well get a couple, one for the kiln, one just to store stuff in.

Status
Not open for further replies.