Wood from the dump/transfer station

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stelcom66

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2014
Connecticut
The last 2 times I went to the transfer station I came back with some wood from the brush pile. Of course not ideal doing that as it's unknown how old the wood is, but wouldn't be running the stove until next fall anyway. This photo is from a few weeks ago. These rounds do look somewhat seasoned - whatever they are.

I went again today to drop some things off. The attendant was a nice guy and didn't punch a hole in my card because I didn't have that much. I guess the town will allow small amounts of things not accepted in the weekly collection to be dropped off without permit or punch card. This will be it for a while, the permit expires the end of this month. I thought might as well, it's free and every little bit helps, especially now.

I got 150 gallons of heating oil since my hot water is heated within the furnace. If I filled it, the cost would have been over $1,000. They would have delivered 100 gallons like I originally asked, but it was 15ȼ/gal less getting 150.

Wood from dump.jpgb

I couldn't guess what that wood is...doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I burn just about everything. At any rate, I'd get a cheap moisture meter and see what the MC (moisture content) is. It could very well be ready to burn by fall or sooner if you have the need. It has been a chilly spring in my neck of the woods.

Kind of looks like oak (rot pattern) ?

Reactions: fbelec
Yes, doesn't really matter what it is, and some rot. Certainly not prime wood but I'll also burn just about anything that's safe and won't damage the stove. Who knows where and how long it was in someone's yard. Good idea re: a moisture meter. I've heard there's also a method to use a volt/ohm meter, which I have.

I vote for oak also. Probably down/dead for 10+ years

I'd be interested in the moisture reading of a fresh split.