Wood I.D. help, PLEASE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hey all. I have access to a nicely stacked row of rounds from a tennis and country club that I pass on the way home from work. The stack is about 30' long and about 3-4' high,and I can have as much of it as I would like. I already took all the oak and black locust, and this is what is left. Its been stacked for about 5 months, and is not what I would call 'easy' to split( well,its easy with my 22-ton,but the Fiskars SS takes a few whacks on a fresh round,halves and quarters pop a bit easier,but not like oak and ash do.) It is comperable in weight to similarly sized ash rounds(very solid and heavy). Any sooth-saying swamii's have guess here? Silver maple,maybe?

Attachments

• zwood1.jpg
    zwood1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 353
  • zwood2.jpg
    zwood2.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 328
  • zwood3.jpg
    zwood3.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 342
Looks like silver...Also just to throw something different out there shag bark hickory. Maybe

Thats a pretty big spread on the BTU chart, Jay. If Im not mistaken, isnt hickory heavy as lead? These rounds are heavy....but not oak heavy.

Reminds me of silver maple and I've been burning quiet a bit of it since Nov 09. If it's heavy it's likely still wet. Silver maple has a disticnt odor to it when it burns (not wood you would use for smoking meat).

Pretty sure the bottom picture is basswood. the first two are soft maple of some kind.

I was guessin' silver maple,myself. I figured some 'expert' opinions couldnt hurt. The tree was felled in Oct ('10), bucked right away, and has been stacked ever since.....so, yes, it is still pretty green. I suppose a cord or so couldnt hurt for shoulder season and kindling. :)

wood-fan-atic said:
Thats a pretty big spread on the BTU chart, Jay. If Im not mistaken, isnt hickory heavy as lead? These rounds are heavy....but not oak heavy.

Yep but people say everything I see is silver maple...lol So I just flip that one out there....

it does look a little like hickory, but if it isn't "oak heavy" then I'm going with silver maple.

smokinjay said:
wood-fan-atic said:

Yep but people say everything I see is silver maple...lol So I just flip that one out there....

Ha, I'm stickin wit the SJ program from now on. That's Silver Maple! Darn this I.D. stuff is easy now :lol:

I took ALL the good stuff already ---> black locust and oak....only wood left is the silver maple and some sweet gum. It's free,and literally right on my way home..I just have to turn in the lot and put it in my truck. I guess I shouldnt be a wood-snob. I'll grab it and be grateful....thanks all... %-P

Cate said:
Mix the silver in with your hard woods, that's what I do....burns great.

Yep nothing wrong with silver other than it get so fricken big at times.

Nice to have it in October or early April to take the chill off,dont drive you outta the house like denser woods do.

Thistle said:
Nice to have it in October or early April to take the chill off,dont drive you outta the house like denser woods do.

I heated two winters with it but had 6 pick-up loads of very old hedge. Thank God!

Hedge (osage orange) is like the Holy Grail of firewood for me.....I would LOVE to burn some, but can't find it (none here on L.I.). :sick:

Oh,well...I'll have to 'suffer" with the black locust. ;-P

wood-fan-atic said:
I guess I shouldnt be a wood-snob. I'll grab it and be grateful....thanks all... %-P

The scroungers creed.

Status
Not open for further replies.