Wood ID - by burning smell of incense

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caber

Hearth Supporter
Feb 6, 2008
Western Maryland
Okay. About 4 years ago we had a 40 foot tree uproot in a wind storm. 3 years ago I bucked it and 2 years ago I split some of it. I have no idea what the leaves looked like. It does, however, have a very distinct odor when burning. It smells strongly like incense - the kind I smelled as a child in church. There is no odor inside the house or in the stove, only outside the house from the chimney. It is really strong. I normally cannot smell any smoke outside, but if I throw a log of this in the stove, I can smell it from some distance.

Any ideas? We're east coast - Maryland.

Basswood would be my guess. It smells like the incense used during funerals in the Catholic church.

Status
Not open for further replies.