Wood ID for a newb please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onion

Burning Hunk
Nov 3, 2009
Ohio
My brother and I began working on a large deadfall in the front yard the other day. The tree was probably 40 feet tall with a big crotch about 1/2 way up. In the pictures you will see that the tree has 2 very different kinds of bark the gnarlier bark is on the bottom part of the tree with the smoother bark above the crotch. The wood is very light colored (nearly white). Hopefully these are ok for you guys to make a good guess at.

IMGP0954.jpg
IMGP0950.jpg
IMGP0949.jpg

darn, I wanted to beat Lee to the punch. Maple at the top is often smooth, coarse at the bottom. White wood.

Thanks very much!

Looks like I have a bunch of maple on my hands for next year.

On another note it appears your saw need some proper sharpening (crooked cut means your chain is unevenly sharpened) and your rakers also need a bit of filing (the ripples on the cut).
Just some friendly advice.

No doubt the saw needs sharpened! I am hoping to get that done this week.

ok I'll beat Lee to the punch......MMMMMMMMMM...HMMMMMMMMM
Dat looks like Swamp Maple!

WoodButcher

Status
Not open for further replies.