Wood ID for great score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA Fire Bug

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2010
Blair County, PA
Several weeks ago I made a comment at work about using a wood stove to heat an office. A co-worker said that she could supply the wood. I asked if she had wood that she would be willing to give up for fire wood. It turned out that she lives in a wooded area less than 10 miles from my home. She and her husband never burned wood and have friends who occasionally cut wood on their property. I spent a day and half cutting downed trees and another day moving and hauling the wood. I had to use a wheelbarrow for two of the piles because they were too far from her driveway. I am very pleased with the wood. Some of it is soft and has some rotten spots but I enjoyed the time spent in the woods (it actually snowed the first day that I cut) and will be very happy for the heat.

I really don't care what kind of wood I found, since it cost me very little to haul (gift cards and a few gallons of diesel for the truck and a promise for a dinner out with my family and a donation to the favorite charity of my co-worker) and it will burn when it is dry but I'm curious to know what I may have found. I could not find any leaves to identify the trees. They both had been down for a while.

The haul required three trips in a small dump truck.
wood.jpg

The wood below was from an uprooted tree that was not touching the ground. It had two trunks. One had no bark and the other one had loose bark with easily pealed off. This is what the wood looks like with bark, without bark and split. It splits easily and has nice, straight grain. The wood has somewhat of a musty odor. I hope it doesn't smell like urine when I burn it. :)
wood1.jpg

Another large tree had nearly all of the bar rotted off. The wood had an light orange color, which did not show up real well in the photo. You can see some of the orange shading on the ends in the top photo. It splits easily and smells much better than the first wood.
wood2.jpg

Thats oak.

Reactions: ScotO
I see white and red oak in them there pics.......GREAT STUFF!

Oak! That's great news. The wood in the third picture smelled a lot like the pin oak that I split last fall but not nearly as heavy (the pin oak was very green). Both woods were very solid, despite being down for a while. This makes hauling the wood with a wheelbarrow to get it out of the woods more worthwhile. Thanks for the ID.

Reactions: ScotO
Dude thats oak. Great score is right. Remember to let that bad boy sit for a few years to maximize its output.

That stuff will make you smile!

Status
Not open for further replies.