Wood ID Help Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

redktmrider

Burning Hunk
Jan 21, 2012
Southern IN
I recovered two of these trees while bucking a huge red oak. The leaves are compound and opposite in arrangement and I have included a pic of a single leaflet. The wood has been c/s/s for about six to seven weeks. it is much lighter than the red oak.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0668.JPG
    IMG_0668.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0669.JPG
    IMG_0669.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_0672.JPG
    IMG_0672.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 243
Those pics are definitely black cherry. Sometimes I find the leaves appear to be compound, but closer inspection shows they are not compound. Absolutely black cherry.

Reactions: TedyOH
Thanks for the input. I am really struggling to id this tree using the leaves and branches. I even had a experienced carpenter look at it, he had no idea.
You guys rock!:cool:

Black Cherry.....cornflake bark color of splits.

Def black cherry, I have a ton of it too. Great wood for burning, but does leave large charcoal chunks.

Bark and wood color pattern say black cherry. Second leaf picture shows more rounded, more ovate leaf shape than typical of black cherry, but that is likely an illusion from the angle of the photo. Rounded teeth on edge are correct for black cherry.

Look on the back side of the leaves. Follow the midrib toward where the blade attaches to the petiole (leaf stem). There should light brown/orange pubescence (very short hairs) coming off the midrib of the leaves. Pubescence should be present on many mature leaves, but not not necessarily seen on all. If present sometimes there's a lot, sometimes there's just a little.

A lot of pubescence: http://www.eattheweeds.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/P1050227.jpg

If present, definitely black cherry.

Last edited:
Reactions: xxrice
Bark and wood color pattern say black cherry. Second leaf picture shows more rounded, more ovate leaf shape than typical of black cherry, but that is likely an illusion from the angle of the photo. Rounded teeth on edge are correct for black cherry.

Look on the back side of the leaves. Follow the midrib toward where the blade attaches to the petiole (leaf stem). There should light brown/orange pubescence (very short hairs) coming off the midrib of the leaves. Pubescence should be present on many mature leaves, but not not necessarily seen on all. If present sometimes there's a lot, sometimes there's just a little.

A lot of pubescence: http://www.eattheweeds.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/P1050227.jpg

If present, definitely black cherry.
Looks like Mulberry to me.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The wood looks clearly like Black Cherry. The description of the leaves as compound and opposite does not match Black Cherry. I think the appearance of the wood is so obviously Black Cherry that I'll assume the description of the leaves is wrong. Are you sure they are compound and opposite? Can we see a picture of a twig with leaves?

Reactions: TreePointer
Its very likely that the are not compound as I am new at at this.I had a hard time finding anything that looked like a leaf bud anywhere on the branch, that"s why i thought
IMG_0673.JPG
it had compound leaves. I have attached a picture of a twig.
Thanks again for all the help guys!