Wood ID in CT, poor pics inside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

robj80

Burning Hunk
Oct 5, 2018
South West, CT
Any chance anyone can ID this wood. I'm trying to go pick this up for FREE today. Just curious as to what it is. Free is Free so I will grab it no matter what. Doesn't hurt that is actually on my way home from work either.

wood id 2.jpg
wood id.jpg

My thought is red maple with a few pieces of cherry mixed in

Going out on a limb (pun intended) but some looks ike maple or maybe a poplar, but some of the rougher looking bark looks like the pine I have been splitting recently.
Regardless, free is good.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Going with Maple. Am located in same basic part of CT and a tree guy dropped off a load of maple and it looks exactly like that.

Maple . . . possibly some black cherry.

Maple....with definitely black cherry.

Well I grabbed what my little truck could hold. Before I even left there was another truck behind me looking to take some. The lighter wood in the pics weighs like nothing. Guy said the tree just got cut but it was standing dead for years. The darker wood in the picture is very heavy. I was surprised by the weight. I haven't split or taken any moisture readings yet. Thanks for helping in the ID. This pic is after I already unloaded a bunch.

MVIMG_20190930_183924.jpg

Sugar maple? The light stuff was probably pine.

The bark doesn't look like any pine I have seen but I'm a rookie when it comes to wood ID. I just dumped it in the driveway for now. When I start splitting it I will report back with better pictures and smells and see if we can pinpoint exactly what it is.