Wood I'd Mulberry??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Darbycrash

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
This is a fresh split. Excuse my camera. I have burned a lot of mulberry in the past but I feel this may be something else. It is not yellow which turns brown on fresh splits however it is reddish brown in the heart. The bark seems mulberry ish, but the furrows are deep. The tree was about 2ft in diameter. A fresh split has a earthy and almost sweet smell. Is it maybe an elm? Splitting is OK.

Attachments

• IMG_20170110_170956201_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170110_170956201_HDR.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20170110_171006000_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170110_171006000_HDR.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 171
Reactions: Stinkpickle
This is a fresh split. Excuse my camera. I have burned a lot of mulberry in the past but I feel this may be something else. It is not yellow which turns brown on fresh splits however it is reddish brown in the heart. The bark seems mulberry ish, but the furrows are deep. The tree was about 2ft in diameter. A fresh split has a earthy and almost sweet smell. Is it maybe an elm? Splitting is OK.

Attachments

• IMG_20170110_170917162.jpg
    IMG_20170110_170917162.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 133
I'm not great with bark but the grain looks a bit like white oak. Do you have a picture of one of the ends?

The bark has some similarities with Sassafras. So does the description of what you smell.

Could be sass, but have little experience with that. Color and grain aren't right for locust, oak, or hedge. I'd say red elm, which is dense and is straight grained.

Reactions: Darbycrash
Sassafras has a very distinct aroma. I'm with red elm also, although I don't recall much smell from it

Reactions: Darbycrash