Wood ID Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyLane

Feb 16, 2013
North Central Ohio
I'm not the best at identifying different trees, especially in winter when no leaves are to be found.

I scrounged a small load from a tree that was cut down at work. Our maintenance guy thought maybe a boxwood elder but wasn't too sure and I haven't a clue. It split's easy and straight. What's everyone else think?
IMG_1367.JPGIMG_1368.JPGIMG_1370.JPG

Reactions: DexterDay
Box Elder. Dom't take any more of the crap. Ask him for the good stuff.

Ailanthus or Tree Of Hell. I recognize that bark anywhere,plus the wood is coarser textured,looks a bit like Ash..Effing nasty worthless stinking stuff.I'd take it back ASAP or dump it in a ditch someplace if you dont have a firepit. ;lol ;)

It's still wood! Don't waste a bunch of time getting it. But it burns and I sure wouldn't take it back!

It's not box elder; wrong bark and box elder almost always has kinda star shaped red center when you look at the end of a round.

It's still wood! Don't waste a bunch of time getting it. But it burns and I sure wouldn't take it back!

Thanks all for the input. My thinking was along the same lines as webby's - it was already cut and sitting in a small pile next to the parking lot at work. Not much work involved other than backing up to the pile and throwing it in my truck.

I'll mix it into my stacks with the locust and little bit of cherry I'm processing now and in a couple years time it'll go up-in-smoke!

Reactions: Redlegs
It's not box elder; wrong bark and box elder almost always has kinda star shaped red center when you look at the end of a round.
Agreed Ralphie. Elder split will have some red stripes in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.