Wood I'D & pic help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Chris

Aug 6, 2010
West Chester PA.
Would someone be kind enough to post their email add to post pics for me. I picked up about a cord of wood a month or so ago and have no idea what it is. I figured I would figure it out when I split it, but I have no idea. Thank you

I PM'd you Big Chris with my email, go ahead and send them over I'll post them.

Here are Chris' pictures:

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 167
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 163
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 146
Reactions: stephiedoll
Maple?

Agree some kind of maple, maybe norway. In the back of my mind I'm thinking poplar but I don't think so.

Looks like some kind of poplar or cottonwood to me. Not any maple I've ever seen.

Its definately not maple. Possibly mockernut hickory, hard to tell from the pics, I'm on my Droid X2 right now. I'll stick with cottonwood til someone else chimes in.

That was a GOOD DEED you did Jwoair23..... Always nice to see people help around here ;)

I'm with Scotty on the Cottonwood.

Reactions: amateur cutter
It looks like a softer hardwood to me; the picture of the inside of the split piece almost reminds me of Willow.

I really don't think it is one of the denser hardwoods like Maple or Hickory, but I could be wrong.

I'll roll the dice on Willow-final answer!

Did I win? :)

Okay well let's keep going with this; you said it was heavy-when it was green I presume...is it still heavy now after it's been split for awhile? What about smells, what kind of aroma did it have if any?

I took a closer, clearer look at the pictures and it may be a better hardwood than I first thought...let's keep at this!

Reactions: Realstone
I PM'd you Big Chris with my email, go ahead and send them over I'll post them.

Thanks jwoair. You beat me to it.

As for the pictures, I can not tell from them what it is.

Take a sliver off of a split, light it and see what the smoke smells like. If it smells good, I bet its a hickory. If it smells bad, I bet its cottonwood. Let me know how you make out. If that stuff is hickory, that's a great score and it would go straight into the cooking-wood stack. If it's cottonwood, it would be OK for shoulder season.

Here's a pic from the internet of Mockernut hickory bark

MockernutBark.jpg

Here's a pic from the internet of cottonwood bark

cottonwoodbark.jpg

which one looks closer to your specimen?

Looks like some poplar I've got split & stacked. Hard to say for sure from the pictures. Weight of the splits and/or smell of a small piece burning will tell. As stated before, Light splits and stinky burn - poplar or cottonwood, heavy and nice smelling burn - hickory... my 2 cents worth... if it's worth that much.:p

Hard to tell for sure, but I vote cotton wood also.

It is a young silver maple grown on high ground on the west side of a hill with rocky territory. It appears to have been 22" DBH with a 28' crown.

Just a guess though.>>

Reactions: smokinj and ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.