Wood ID please, thank you!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cabinwarmer

Burning Hunk
Sep 11, 2020
SE PA
Any ideas on what species of tree this is? I am having a little trouble burning, MC is @18, so it is dry enough. SE PA area.

Thanks for your response.

Dave

IMG_1714.jpg

Need better pics, bark, wood and end grain

My first guess is chestnut.

OK, bark, wood and end grain. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1715.jpg
    IMG_1715.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1716.jpg
    IMG_1716.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1717.jpg
    IMG_1717.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 192
Cant say I like it's burn so much. Does OK if I got it hot enough. Sound correct?

I don't know hickory.

Does not look like hickory or white oak to me. I burn a fair amount of both. But I'm not sure what it is.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
No end grain checking at all? Interesting its checking 18%. Is your M/C test on a re-split room temp freshly exposed inside surface? Can't say I recognize that flavor either way but I don't see Oak.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Thanks Guys!.... I can't say I did a proper reading of MC. Room temp but not freshly split. I just read a few more the same way and they are a bit higher then the last time. Between 20-22 MC with this batch.

Thanks Guys!.... I can't say I did a proper reading of MC. Room temp but not freshly split. I just read a few more the same way and they are a bit higher then the last time. Between 20-22 MC with this batch.
Believe you may have your poor burn issue mostly answered Dave. Almost certainly you will add a couple more points of moisture if you bust open a few of those room temp splits and check the fresh face. Almost always checks that way for me. Good luck either way!

Pretty sure not white oak. Actually very sure. Wood looks like ash, bark does not. Doesn't look like hickory to me either. Bark looks like chestnut oak. Wood not at much.

That's it I'm stumped.

It's not basswood or poplar, is it?

A better bark picture might help.

Better bark picture as requested. Yes Moresnow, I must have grabbed the driest piece in the stack. Agree, it needs a bit more time to dry out. But still unsure of what it is?

Attachments

• IMG_1719.jpg
    IMG_1719.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 108
D8, no unspilt rounds. I see you are from Collegeville, I am right up the street in Green Lane. It does burn like Ash after it dries out a bit in the firebox I believe.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Yes, that bark definitely looks like ash.

Probably just a little high on the MC to burn well, as I think has been mentioned previously.

I'm also leaning towards a big old ash. Look for D shaped little holes in the bark and swiggely lines on the wood where the bark has been removed.

Depending on how old it is, I had a big, gnarly, old dead ash that had been dead for a long time. It was in the perfect location to get very little moisture and stay really dry so it did not rot. The grain in a lot of it did not look like true ash because of how old it was. When I cut it, it ate my chain quick and split very tough. It was hard as a rock. In the stove, no matter how much air I gave it, it still burnt very slow and smelled like charcoal. Left great coals. You may have a situation like that here.