Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
In my Sandy scrounging haste I assumed this was something. After splitting it and stacking it I have my doubts. What do you say? Only top row.

Attachments

• Wood ID.jpg
    Wood ID.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 162
Kinda looks like ash. But something about the deep furrowing of the bark looks off. I need a better photo.

Reactions: nrford
It is something, looks like maybe cottonwood

Ash it is then. I thought maybe a hickory that I was unfamiliar with. I thought it was ash at first. The bark is very furrowed. I'm currently working with Black Locust, Norway maple and the afformentioned Ash. It must have been a very old ash tree. They seem to look like that when they are very old. Thx.

Some ash has a darker heartwood. I've cut some really big ash trees down in my area that had that same bark and heartwood that you have in thoses pics....

Ash it is then. I thought maybe a hickory that I was unfamiliar with. I thought it was ash at first. The bark is very furrowed. I'm currently working with Black Locust, Norway maple and the afformentioned Ash. It must have been a very old ash tree. They seem to look like that when they are very old. Thx.

Agree...ash

Kinda looks like ash. But something about the deep furrowing of the bark looks off. I need a better photo.

Not sure how true this is everywhere, but on my property, the younger ash have pretty standard bark....even somewhat smooth on the really young ones, but the older ones seem to have some deeper furrowing and it's almost always on one side with heavy lichen growth. Not sure if that means a dang thing, but I've certainly questioned myself a few times despite the very obvious opposite branching.

Ash or poplar.
Hard to tell from the pic.

How did that stuff split gzecc? Really easy splitting? Hard splitting?

Used a splitter, really couldn't tell.

Yes, you can tell. Is it stringy or is it solid?

If it split with very little effort from the splitter, the splits are smooth and the splits are especially light, I would say it's poplar. That's what the bark looks like to me.​
It could be water logged and feel heavy. Bring a split inside by the stove and a day or two later if it's light as a feather, it's poplar.​
I burn poplar all the time. It will burn fast and hot. Similar to burning 2X4's. Not a good wood to burn overnight and expect coals in the morning.​

If it split with very little effort from the splitter, the splits are smooth and the splits are especially light, I would say it's poplar. That's what the bark looks like to me.​
It could be water logged and feel heavy. Bring a split inside by the stove and a day or two later if it's light as a feather, it's poplar.​
I burn poplar all the time. It will burn fast and hot. Similar to burning 2X4's. Not a good wood to burn overnight and expect coals in the morning.​
I know poplar. Definetely not.

Bark looks like popular . But i have seen a few giant gums with bark like that . If it was stringy to split maybe a gum .

Looks like ash

Attachments

• Ash.jpg
    Ash.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 99
Status
Not open for further replies.