Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnus

Feeling the Heat
Oct 23, 2010
Central, NJ
In my stacks I have Red oak, red maple, silver maple, norway maple, callary pear, ash, cherry, honey locust, black locust and beech. But what is this?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360449092.862260.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1360449109.179976.jpg

Actually, it is. Reminds me of walnut but I'm stumped.

Just the color looks like walnut but the bark doesn't? I give up!

Mulberry??

Uhhh..... maybe uhhhhh..... I think uhhhhh..... or uhhhh.... Hey Scotty!!!;)

show us an open split, with the end grain too.

No, both bark and color are wrong for mulberry. That said, I have no idea what it *is.* Some exotic yard tree, perhaps?

Don't think it's mulberry either. I have some and this bark doesn't match nor is the wood yellow at all. I found some after sandy that was growing between the sidewalk and street suggesting that if was planted by the town. Found a bit more recently in the the town's sandy scrap yard so it can't be that rare. A large stump there too about 25-30" at the base so it must be sizable.

I'll see if I can get a split pic.

Can you split it? Im sure that its not mulberry. But the bark looks like that of honey locust, its heart wood doesnt appear to be pink enough. however that might be due to the picture too.

Status
Not open for further replies.