Wood ID???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Firewood Bandit

Minister of Fire
Jan 3, 2014
Western WIsconsin
I always look at the ID threads. Never thought it would be me posting one.

A log landing I am working has quite a bit of something I can't ID. It's not softwood they way it cuts and chips are tan colored. It's lighter than oak. Maple maybe??

111jrm0.jpg

2ezjtrt.jpg

Wood worker guys, what do you think of this?

2gt98p3.jpg

2lnbqti.jpg

2nler12.jpg

Making some progress

10wtq3m.jpg

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Possibly Linden?

The pictures with the truck and trailer are black walnut

tthat was my guess too.

You guys are correct, there is not doubt what that is along with pics #3 & #4.

I just made the snide remark on those because friends who do wood work freak when they see me cutting up walnut for firewood.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Are you sure 1 and 2 aren't softwood? They look a bit like Douglas fir to me.

You guys are correct, there is not doubt what that is along with pics #3 & #4.

I just made the snide remark on those because friends who do wood work freak when they see me cutting up walnut for firewood.

that's funny. i ended up with a black walnut that was about that size, cut it up, split it and my brother in law was like "WHY DID YOU DO THAT! DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THAT TREE WOULD HAVE BEEN WORTH!?!?!?!?"

I now ask him if he wants any twig off of a black walnut tree I find :)

Top ones almost look like sweet gum to me. Not sure if you have them In Wisconsin though.

You will know when u try to spilt it- that’s for sure

Are you sure 1 and 2 aren't softwood? They look a bit like Douglas fir to me.

Top ones almost look like sweet gum to me. Not sure if you have them In Wisconsin though.

You will know when u try to spilt it- that’s for sure

Sorry no Doug fir or Gum here I Wisconsin.

Here is the log pile it came from.

20t08rp.jpg

Red maple?

Reactions: nrford
that's funny. i ended up with a black walnut that was about that size, cut it up, split it and my brother in law was like "WHY DID YOU DO THAT! DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THAT TREE WOULD HAVE BEEN WORTH!?!?!?!?"

I now ask him if he wants any twig off of a black walnut tree I find :)

^^^ Love this Woodbandit^^^

I couldn't even begin to tell you how many people think there yard walnut is worth a fortune, in the 20 years I ran my sawmill!!

Sure looks like Soft Maple to me Woodbandit...

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
Sure looks like Soft Maple to me Woodbandit...

I am leaning towards your thoughts too.

I sell firewood and market as red & white oak or hickory. The rounds in question and the walnut are separated and will be sold as "campfire wood". I can demand a premium for high quality wood.

Sorry no Doug fir or Gum here I Wisconsin.

Here is the log pile it came from.

Nope. That picture definitely doesn't make me think doug fir. Maybe the lighting or the close up nature of the earlier pictures threw me off.

As widely as it has been planted, though, there could be some Wisconsin.. The tallest tree in England is actually a Douglas Fir.

I hate Sweet Gum Black Gum is the worst

Looks like a Norway maple to me.

I was splitting today and here is what I think it is.

1st pic, the piece on the top is Red Elm as there were bug tracks under the bark and the other is maple.

Pics please, top piece doesn't look like R. Elm to me, but I should be able to confirm with a pic...

Pic please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pics please, top piece doesn't look like R. Elm to me, but I should be able to confirm with a pic...

The pic I was referring to is in #1 in the original post.

Anyway, I split a bit today and got another shot of it.

I am calling this maple??
8zfdwl.jpg

I'll go with red elm??

ru07rt.jpg

Beetles under the bark.

14lj2pi.jpg

Load cut today:

2431bmr.jpg

25gxmdf.jpg

2dspuep.jpg

The pic I was referring to is in #1 in the original post.

[

I ended up realizing that as a possibility after I reread your post the other night. I would have deleted or edited my post, but I got sidetracked.

But thanks for the additional pics. I’ve never come across red elm. Certainly looks a little different from what I am used to. But I can definitely see the bark as being a type of elm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Firewood Bandit