Wood ID

Woody5506

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2017
Rochester NY
I would've guessed some kind of maple. I'm not too familiar with red, I don't think I've gotten more than a few chunks of it.

Reactions: Sbrown28

JSeery

Feeling the Heat
Feb 12, 2015
Irvington, NY
What does it smell like? Thinking it might be a conifer of some type.

CincyBurner

Minister of Fire
Mar 10, 2015
SW Ohio
+ 1 for callery pear (Pyrus calleryana)

Jonathan2001

Feb 12, 2019
Michigan
It looks a heck of a lot like the hawthorn I find around here in SE Michigan, as far as scaly bark, orangish color wood, and irregular (not round or oval) shaped trunk . And I know there are may different types of hawthorn. Any big thorns? I share a 600 foot long property line with a farmer's field and someone planted hawthorn many decades ago as a living fence of sort. They are not huge trees, but darn good firewood, up there with hickory.

Sbrown28

Nov 13, 2019
Nebraska
It looks a heck of a lot like the hawthorn I find around here in SE Michigan, as far as scaly bark, orangish color wood, and irregular (not round or oval) shaped trunk . And I know there are may different types of hawthorn. Any big thorns? I share a 600 foot long property line with a farmer's field and someone planted hawthorn many decades ago as a living fence of sort. They are not huge trees, but darn good firewood, up there with hickory.
Did not notice any thorns