Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Apr 30, 2021
CT
My neighbor is a big woodsman, so, we’ve got these pieces lying around, I don’t know what kind of wood this is, please assist.

53ABC790-0C49-4139-B727-9D626346C034.jpeg 2E37FCBE-4416-46CD-ADD5-00DF64D76EF1.jpeg DC73B8DA-9A73-4299-BD40-EC9E9B4C2E39.jpeg

Looks like Cherry to me with that scaly bark and red cut ends. Crack a round open, it should smell sweet.

First round does resemble cherry. Very hard to tell by a pic of aged wood. Fresh cut and bark is best.

The wide angle shot definitely has cherry, some ash, and what looks like some sugar maple. Possibly a couple others, but I can't make anything else out definitively.

That's old wood. And a lot of it. Seriously, it looks like black cherry.

I think I'm also seeing some sugar maple, ash, and oak. Very promising -- that's a great mix of firewood.

Looks like a decent mix if hardwoods.

To quote Pen (old time member) "get it before it rots" ;)

Welcome to the Forums !!!!

In addition to the above I think I see some hickory, is this all your wood?

Take as much as you can get.

2 - 3 years ahead is pure bliss ;)