Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
North Carolina mountains. No leaves. Not a pine. The wood has a strong, funky smell, almost smells rotten.
Help me boys, I got 800 pounds if this in my pickup, and my brother has a thousand pounds in his woodpile.

IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003 (1).JPG IMG_0004 (1).JPG

I'd take a wild guess at red oak of some sort. Mostly because of the coloring and looks like it splits easily. My experience in in the north east.

It may well be red oak. I hope so. Too bad I couldn't get a leaf.

Is it orange just under the bark if you peel it a little? You say it smells funky or rotten which doesn't sound right. Red oak smells great to me a real strong winey smell, nothing like working red oak. Bark looks pretty coarse also, hard to tell from picture.
No matter what if it fits in your stove it's good.

Highly doubt it's oak. The bark doesn't look right. Red oak specifically has a very strong, distinct vinegar like smell that lingers for years. It also has a very tight grain.

This is red oak from my pile:

20210316_142337.jpg

Some kind of hickory? I have some pignut hickory on my property that looks similar. Smells kind of earthy or tobacco-y

I wacked this tree six months ago and it was dying at the time. It had no leaves. Now the wood is still sound, no rot, and full of sap.
Since the tree was diseased, it could be, perhaps, a red oak with diseased/discolored wood.

I don't know but the wood is very heavy. I am going to split it up today with my electric splitter, and I am going to bring 2 pieces into the house and set them behind the wood stove to dry, and in a few weeks I will see how it burns.

I split much of it today. It is a dense, heavy hardwood. I know it is going to be good firewood. Smells like vinegar. It is rather stringy, some pieces hard to split due to stringy-ness. Could this be the North Carolina Hellefino Tree?

IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0006 (1).JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody Stover
"Is it orange just under the bark if you peel it a little?"

This tree laid on the ground for six months. The edge between the bark and the wood is quite rotten, just looks like nasty brown mulch, or doo-doo. However, no rot on the wood itself Gott sei Dank.

It’s not oak, it doesn’t look like any of the hickories I’ve seen. Does not look like any of the green or white ash that we have here.

If I had to guess, I’d guess sweet gum. It’s been almost 20 years since I’ve seen a mature tree though.

@Simonkenton You live in a great area of true old time mountain men, you need to ask locals they'll know. You're just north of the arboretum at UNC Asheville, they'll have info.

I can’t ID this wood. My first impression is that it’s a softwood. I’m not in your geographic area so my impression is not worth much.

Can you get a better end grain pic?
Doesn't look like the Oaks I'm familiar with. Or Hickory or Sweetgum, which are lighter-colored. Sassafras doesn't smell "rotten."
If we have to, we can call in @nrford. 😏 But this wood might not be in MI...

Last edited:
I'm guessing some kind of willow or poplar species. It's usually really heavy when first split, but will get much lighter over time.