wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 23, 2010
Northern Maine
Found this during winter cutting I think its ash no telling how long it was there no leaves or twigs
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• ash.jpg
    ash.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 230
Hard to tell . . . I'm better at IDing trees with leafs . . . almost looks like a maple to me though vs. a white ash. Most of the white ash I've seen are more "furrowed" with the bark on older trees.

shouldntbesocomplicated said:
Found this during winter cutting I think its ash no telling how long it was there no leaves or twigs
Thanks in advance

Looks like Sugar Maple.

Zap

zapny said:
Thanks in advance

Looks like Sugar Maple.

Zap

+1

Looks like Sugar Maple.

++1

could be just seemed darker heart wood when I cut it up weeks ago and there is a big ash limb in the runnoff stream

zapny said:
Thanks in advance

Looks like Sugar Maple.

He's right. And that tree's been tapped. See that heartwood flare out.

Not Ash. I also believe it is in the maple family.

Edit: but it does have some characteristics that could point to hickory.

Jags said:
Not Ash. I also believe it is in the maple family.

Edit: but it does have some characteristics that could point to hickory.

Dont think we have hickory up here or not that I have seen wood love some of the nuts so I look .Very little oak up here to if any .I would like to go the 400 plus miles south to family and grab some sapplins and accorn to get some on my property

Another vote for hard maple. Definitely not ash.

Backwoods Savage said:
Another vote for hard maple. Definitely not ash.

Not sure how hard it is lol, was pretty soggy when cut and split that 1 piece weeks ago

Nasty. I hope it is not punky.

mainstation said:
zapny said:
Thanks in advance

Looks like Sugar Maple.

He's right. And that tree's been tapped. See that heartwood flare out.

Well it wasnt me , I would like to try that some day did it once when I was young

Status
Not open for further replies.