Wood Identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

may79

Jan 29, 2020
Central PA
I was scrounging today at the local compost dump and found this. Any idea what it is? It doesn't smell like pine, but there were pine needles around it among other debris. The pine needles could be completely unrelated.

Attachments

• IMG_1688.jpg
    IMG_1688.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1689.jpg
    IMG_1689.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 203
Not sure but not pine, is it heavy? Looks like something good.

Yes, it is pretty heavy. There was a ton of if, but the center was rotten. Looked like some sort of beetle damage. I just split the rot off and kept the good stuff. If it is something good, I'd go back for more.

Yes, it is pretty heavy. There was a ton of if, but the center was rotten. Looked like some sort of beetle damage. I just split the rot off and kept the good stuff. If it is something good, I'd go back for more.
Agree, looks like locust. if there is more I would grab it. Let it season for 2-3 years.

Locust. Great firewood.

I was scrounging today at the local compost dump and found this. Any idea what it is? It doesn't smell like pine, but there were pine needles around it among other debris. The pine needles could be completely unrelated.
Black Locust Very good firewood more BTUs than Oak

I have burned tons of locust. I say it is locust.

Black Locust..the pithy center in some of it is a dead giveaway, as well.
Go back right now and get the rest. And find out who left it..they probably have a grove of it that needs to be kept under control. You'll be set for life. >>